Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Little snippets of memory come back to me

I remember during my childhood years hearing my mother refer to "drug fiends". Only I thought she was saying "drug phene", and that's how I grew up saying it.

Drugs weren't talked about or, I believe, used as much back then. Certainly not in my world. Good grief, I didn't even know anyone who drank alcohol! So I don't know if Mother was referring to someone she'd read about in the newspaper, or if she actually knew about someone who was hooked up somehow with drugs.

Today I said to myself, "Was Mother saying "drug phene" or "drug fiend"? I was guessing the latter, since phene isn't a word. I went to Google and found there was a book written in 1922 called "Diary of a Drug Fiend".

The mystery is solved. My mom was saying "drug fiend". I wonder if she read the book.

See, this is one of those posts that's too long for twitter and really too short for a blog entry. Oh well.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting...now you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Momma used that term about some folks. Never thought about how you spelled it. WE don't use that term today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard that term in years Donna...now I believe 75 percent of the population are "drug fiends" !!! lol
    love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that term too so glad you cleared it up for me! Sorry to hear about Sadies frisbee, she looks sad in the pictures!

    This is our last day in the sunny south. We have had some free time each day so have spent it at the beach. Just so gorgeous!!!! Yesterday the jellyfish were out so we had to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindie12:06 PM

    I grew up with my mother hating for me to go down to the drugstore for a cherry coke. She was always warning me about the drug store cowboys.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!