Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Things around here

Cliff sold "Big Ugly", the old David Brown tractor. This gives his "tractor fund" a nice boost. The man who bought the tractor was thrilled to have found it; he'd been looking for one like it for some time.

Another Craigslist success.

Cliff, of course, doesn't need another tractor. However, tractors among his main interests, and he has a hankering for an Oliver of the 55 series (1555 through 1855). He finances these ventures without bothering the household moneys, and I say more power to him. What he'll do, once he gets his Ollie, is play with it for a year (or several years) and sell it, once he gets it out of his system; beats his having a mistress, right? He and I are well aware these days that we're on the downhill side of life, and if we want to do something, we'd best be doing it.

I received the registration papers for my new cow, Bonnie; so she's officially mine now, and if she has a heifer calf I'll be able to register it.

It's scary to have money invested in a cow, when I think about it. So many things can go wrong with them. Hardware disease, for instance. Then there's milk fever and mastitis. A cow can have problems calving, or retain afterbirth after having a calf. Through the years, I've had experience with all these things in one cow or another.

Of course my readers are already familiar with the problem my pet, Secret, has: sterility.

So it occurs to me to ask myself, "What on earth are you doing with a Jersey cow?"

By the way, Cliff kindly lent me money from his tractor fund to purchase the cow. I'm paying it back, week by week. He has a pretty healthy stash these days, and far be it from me to deplete it for long. He finds it amusing that I'm using money from his own paycheck to pay him back. Hey, it works for me!

Some of my favorite bloggers are saying they're through blogging; others are breathing threats about discontinuing their blogs. They think they're not up to standard.

If I thought I had to live up to some standard or other, I would never have started. I blog for myself. This is where I vent, walk down memory lane, connect with people. If it doesn't meet your standards, don't waste your time here.

If nobody else read this mess, I'd still blog. Although I might be a lot more explicit about some things, if I were the only one reading.

We're getting thunder and a few sprinkles as I type. Rain seems to be in the forecast at least half the time, but we're not getting it. And we are now at the point where we could use some measurable precipitation. I have a lot of things growing out there!

7 comments:

  1. LOL on paying Cliff with his own paycheck. I thought that was kinda funny, too!
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindie9:40 AM

    You earn the money by taking care of him! I always felt my husbands money was ours as I did my share and he did his. I like your blog because you talk about real things and enjoy your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where some of the bloggers are coming from. I've only been doing it since January so I'm a total newbie. If I had to come up with quality text day in and day out... or even a couple of times weekly it would be difficult. As it is.. since I'm 90% photographs... it is often hard to have consistent quality. Many times I wake up and say "I'm pretty sure that every good picture has already been taken."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't see what the big deal is with blogger not being good enough. I think it's an excuse for those that no longer want to stay in touch. I can journal just as well here as I did on aol. I'm with you - I do it because it's part of me and I'd do it if no one read it too.
    Now you've got me wondering who's leaving??? I read alot of people on face book, but I tried it and didn't care for it. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the sale of big ugly.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...love your entry here!!! I am with you...I blog for myself to vent or write down happenings and thoughts...I love my friends who visit me, and thank God daily for finding you...but I do not try to write for "points" or what-ever you want to call it. I loevreading about your and Cliff's life Donna.
    love,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. I praise the Lord for your blog. When I am better I will return to blogging. Just now I am not capable of putting together many sentences that make sence or spelling correctly for that matter. I LOVE reading about the freedom you have. The WONDERFUL country life is so relaxing (even when you are hard at work). Mental stress doesn't come across if you have any. I HATE mental sstress.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!