Wednesday, January 14, 2009

More old things

This is a 100-year-old cup and saucer my mother handed down to me. Notice the flowers on it are raised from the surface of the cup.

The message says, "Forget me not".

"Mom had this from the time she was married in 1909." I'm glad Mother stuck this onto the bottom of the saucer, so I know how old this is. I peeled back the tape to see if it said "Made in China", but there's no writing on it.

I was checking out the items Aunt Ruby had put in the drawer of the music box and found this. I imagine it's a bobby pin Grandma used. It really brought back memories of Grandma sitting in her rocking chair at bedtime, releasing her hair from the bun she wore (didn't all grandma's in the '50's wear their hair in a bun?) and brushing it, before she turned in.

Grandma always read one chapter from the New Testament before she went to bed.

Memories.

7 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful cup. The note from your mom is a treasure to keep too. How nice she left notes along with the items. I cannot imagine being organized enough to do something like that. I keep trying to give away my treasures but none of the babes seem to want them. Makes me wonder if they will when I'm gone. They are only things and not very valuable anyway. Have a great Wednesday!
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful cup and saucer. That was thoughtful of your Mom to put dates on things. I never think to do that and on the older things from parents and grandparents never had a date on them either. That pin is called a hairpin. I used to use those many years agon when doing up a french twist. My mother and grandmother used those also. I don't believe my grandmother ever had her hair cut. Wore in in a bun all the time. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cup is soooooo pretty! I wish all the things that people left to us had the little note on the bottom telling the date and all.

    Love the video of Sadie hunting for her toss! I want a dog! I am having touble figuring out how to get my videos from my Flip camera onto UTube, how do you do it? If you can give me any suggestions I'd appreciate it. thediz@roadrunner.com

    Stop by my site I have an award for you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beatiful cup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful treasures! My Mom wears her hair in a bun to this day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Donna !

    Sounds like my grandma....she used that same type bobby pin.....and she brushed out her 'bun' at night.

    She stayed in my room when she came to visit. (My grandfather passed away when my dad was 5....leaving Grandnmother with 8 children in 1929. She never re-married.) So when she came to visit, I shared my bedroom with her and remember the hair brushing etc. And....she too, read a chapter in the Bible before retiring for the night.

    Just a side note....my Grandmother was born in St Joseph, MO. She grew up in Joplin, Mo., came to CA in the early 1920s.

    So maybe those Missouri grammas had something in common, ya think?

    Anyway....thanks AGAIN....for a special trip down memory lane.

    Take care....Blessings....Nance in CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh, Donna...I just LOVE the stories behind the things we keep and treasure!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!