Friday, January 23, 2009

I love a bargain, and I hate to waste money.

Every time Cliff and I are in Richmond at Walmart, I check out the meat that has been marked down 40% because the "sell by" date is almost up. Today I spotted a package of nice center-cut pork chops. We don't eat a lot of meat of any kind, especially pork; but I can't pass up a bargain.

Rather than freeze it like I usually do my bargain meats, I put four of them in the bottom of a Corning Ware dish, spread Stove-top stuffing over the meat, and spread a can of cream-of-chicken soup over that. I covered it and baked it for almost an hour.

Someone I once worked with told me about this simple pork-chop fix, and until we changed to healthier eating habits I fixed it often. It really is better than it looks. Normally I used Cream of Mushroom soup, but I didn't have any today.

I can always find marked-down bread at that Walmart, too; and today was no exception. I bought a square loaf of sour-dough for a buck.

This time it wasn't such a bargain; it was pretty dried out.

"Oh well," I told Cliff. "You win some, you lose some."

After he went out to the shop, I remembered another dish I used to make a lot: bread pudding. I figured we may as well have two unhealthy items for supper, because I really hate to throw out that bread; I paid good money for it. With whiskey sauce poured over it, it is hands down the best bread pudding I've ever made. Of course, the fact we haven't had it in years might be a factor.

Granddaughter Natalie was here to help us eat this bargain-based meal, and when Cliff's sister gets home after twelve hours of working, she'll be glad to have supper ready and waiting. Tomorrow Cliff and I will have nice, healthy Chicken Gumbo. With maybe a small piece of bread pudding for dessert.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks yummy!

    I have my interview set for tomorrow. Just letting you know. The coffee will be on.

    Have a great weekend
    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll have to go out and get some pork chops. I have the stuffing mix and the mushroom soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haen't had bread pudding in years, but I remember well my friend's grandmothers ... should would make it for us whenever we went 'up north' with her on a weekend.

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get the healthy choice cream of mushroom soup and do the pork chops

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some pork chops thawing out to put in the crock pot early in the morning with some BBQ sauce to go over with it mixed with a little catsup. Your recipe sounds good using what you did in it. That bread pudding sounds good. Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!