Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here's how I feel (a rant)

Let me get my politics out in the open here.

I'm a Republican. I didn't vote for President Obama. I was going to, but once I was in the booth I just couldn't. However, a few people who are REALLY close to me did vote for him, and that's great. This is America.


I have to say I'm very proud of my country today.

In the early- to mid-sixties I always watched the evening news, and I remember being so ashamed that there were human beings in this country who couldn't enter a public school without being spit on and yelled at, or worse... even killed.
It bothered me that there were people who were welcome to work behind the counter at Woolworths with my mom, but weren't allowed to sit at that counter and eat. My mom didn't like it either. Nor my dad. I remember their conversations about it.

Today I watched a brown-skinned man take the oath of office. We've come a long way, baby. (I hate having to call people "black" when they're brown, so I don't.)

I'm bothered by things people are saying here and there; but I'm especially bothered by people who call themselves Christians who are saying so many negative things.

I hear them saying they're scared. All through the Bible I read the words, "Fear not". Why are you afraid, followers of Jesus?

You may not like this, but God is color-blind.


I hear people prophesying gloom and doom. What happened to your faith in God, Christians? Don't you see that God is big enough to use anyone? At a church I used to attend we often sang a song that said, "If You can use anyone, You can use me...". Well, if He can use me, He can surely use Barack Obama.

Why not wait and see what happens before you complain?

Pray for our president. Give him a chance.

But I do think Aretha should lose the hat.

(The very people who ran me off a message board are now having problems accepting certain opinions? What goes around, comes around.)

23 comments:

  1. Amen, my Sister. couldn't have said it better myself. what we need to do now, is all come together & pray for our leaders & our country.
    huggies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember driving through a town in the southern part of the country and seeing shacks for the black people to live in and on the other side of the tracks beautiful homes. We have come a long long way and I hope we continue to do so. I'll be praying that people can let alone political differences and work together. We need to start right a home. Seems that our children will only learn from us what we do and they are our future generation.
    Praying for unity on all accounts.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. It doesn't matter who you voted for, this man is now -everyone's- president and we all need to support him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I liked your entry as well :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great day in History! I didn't vote for Obama either, but I am excited, especially today, for our country's future! I have hope..not fear! It's about time we as a country felt this dern good! Obama is an excellent speaker and I hope he continues to excite and keep us hopeful as a nation! Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:11 PM

    LOL...I am with you Donna..Aretha needs to lose that hat LOLOL...and about the rest...I just have to agree...one hundred per cent..and like Obama said in his speech today...not these exact words...but if we don't help each other...and stick together...this country is going down the drain so to speak...all for one...and one for all....that should be our motto for this next four years plus...oh well thanks for listening LOL...God Bless America and God Bless you...Hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Good for you for telling it like it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My LORD.....Aretha needs a little respect so lose the hat, indeed! I watched it all. I loved the speeches, poems, parades and now the balls. This is history in the making. Now we have to brace ourselves and dig ourselves out of the mess we're in! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter who was chosen...He/She needs our prayers and support.

    A divided nation won't stand


    Good post.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. He has my support in that he holds the office of president. It's that simple. I won't agree with him on everything. (I don't agree with my husband on everything...that makes him no less my husband.) And I'm praying God's will be done in all things.

    And you are right, "Fear not" is the most often occuring command in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you. Even about the hat!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen Donna, AMEN! I am with you 100% Read my entry I just posted tonight.
    love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Couldn't have said it better !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:28 AM

    Agreed! 100%

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, I wish every one in the country would read this entry. While this election brought out the best in a very large number of people, unfortunately, it brought out the very worst in a lot of people too. I, personally, have been shocked to hear what has come out of the mouths of "Christians". The very people who are supposed to model their lives after the life of Jesus have very often during this election process exhibited the complete opposite behaviour. But what hurts the cause of Christianity the most is that they've done it in Jesus' name and called it holy. I pray for our President, I pray for our country and I pray for us all. Love is the the lesson that Jesus came here to teach us. Class is still in session.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree 100% with everything you said. I voted for President Obama, and I'm very proud. People need to give him a chance before they critize him. I can say I'm proud to be an American. God bless the USA.
    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo to your entry and LOL yes I think Aretha's hat was great for her but I could probably not get away with it.... only she could pull that hat off. LOL LOL LOL
    And yes I hope people give Obama a chance. I'm republican too and I am now inspired by him and that marvelous speech he gave.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hat needs to go and you are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8:50 PM

    GREAT post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My wife and I attended the North Kansas City high school reunion on Saturday, September 17, 2011. Sandra (Rorer) DeVaux and I were married a few months after her graduation. I was just searching for the list of Henry Hornet words hoping to find them on your site. Do you have the list?

    As for Obama, we are Reagan Democrats, people who were Republicans but switched parties when we saw what Reagan was doing to our country. We voted for Obama and wish the current batch of republicans were more like you, concerned for their country and for their fellow Americans. We not only want to see the President succeed, but we also want to see the unemployed back to work and for those in poverty to have more opportunities. We cannot be a divided country and succeed in this inter-connected world economy. We need wise leadership in the Oval Office and in the Congress. We need the government to work together rather than just saying “NO” to our president who is working to restore our fractured economy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found the list. This is the link to the Henry Hornet words:
    http://northkansascityhighschool.com/HenryHornetWords.htm

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!