Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bread pudding recipe

Midlife Mom asked for this, so here it is, straight out of one of my newer Better Homes and Gardens Cookbooks.

BREAD PUDDING

4 beaten eggs
2 1/4 cups milk
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups dry French bread cubes or regular bread cubes
1/3 cup dried tart red cherries, dried cranberries, or raisins (I used raisins)
1 recipe Whiskey Sauce (optional)

1. In a bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, orange peel and cinnamon. In an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish toss together bread cubes and dried fruit; pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture.
2. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till a nife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool slightly. If desired, serve warm with Whiskey Sauce. Makes 8 servings.


WHISKEY SAUCE

1/4 cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 beaten egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon

1. In a small saucepan melt the butter. Stir in the sugar, egg yolk, and water. Cook and constantly stir the mixture for 5 to 6 minutes or till sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon. Serve warm.

7 comments:

  1. our recipe isn't exactly the same but I love bread pudding!.. to this day I chuckle thinking of "bread" and "pudding" in the same recipe! It never seemed right, but I sure like it, not that i can eat it anymore with all the milk and eggs in it.. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:04 AM

    sounds delish. i'll get my wife a workin' on it right now. Go woman, get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm that sounds delicious! Save me some...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whiskey sauce is optional? What kind of recipe is that.?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billie McDonald used to make the best Bread pudding and bring it hot to work at my first full time job. Yum! I'm gonna have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Donna! Going to make this for hubby tomorrow night! I'm a teatottler (don't know how to spell it but you know what I mean) so is it okay without the bourbon? My grandmother would roll over in her grave if I went into the liquor store! lol! Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this. Thomas is always looking for new bread pudding recipes to try. It's a flavor from his past that we just haven't been able to completely duplicate yet. Maybe this one will come closer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!