Monday, January 26, 2009

Girl Scout cookies

So I see the already overpriced Girl Scout cookies are giving less bang for the buck.

I believe the Girl Scouts of America is a great organization. I never joined because (a) I'm not a joiner, and (b) my parents couldn't afford it anyhow.

I would, however, be glad to donate something to the organization.

Here's what bothers me: Those overpriced cookies only give the troops about fifty cents per box sold.

Now folks, I'd rather those Girl Scouts would come to my door and ask for an outright donation. I really don't care for their cookies, and I'd gladly give the price they ask for a box of lousy cookies directly to the local troops.

Is that too much to ask? Couldn't we at least have that option?

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I've never felt comfortable the whole idea, especially co-workers guilting you to buy cookies "from their child" - as if the kid is doing any work getting the sale. I figure if you are gonna put your kid in any activity, you better pay for it your darned self - don't look to me for a handout when you drive a nicer car and live in a nicer house than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scouting is a good cause Donna. If you know of a group that is doing well, you can donate anonamously. I agree that its a shame the scouts don't get all the money. The boy scouts on the other hand get alot more than 50 percent of their popcorn sales. We would Never send our boys out to beg for money though. They sell popcorn, and wreaths, and do community service. Donations are accepted.
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a Girl Scout we used to go door to door. We'd get the order AND deliver 'em! Now, they sit in front of the market and their parents do it all. OR the parents bring the list in to work and want us to sign up. I hate that.
    But, not a year goes by that I don't enjoy my Thin Mints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They make those cookies in Louisville!! This is how old I am, I rmember selling those boxes for fifty cents!! And my Mom (who saves everything) has a sheet of paper when I must have been treasurer of our Girl Scout Troop...10 cent dues. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered some as usual. And so did George. We didn't realize the other did. lol Good for us.
    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is the Thin mints and Keebler makes a great version that are probably the same cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M WITH YOU MOSIE...IT IS OUTRAGEOUS...AND THE POPCORN THE BOYS SELL IS OVER PRICED AS WELL...I HAVE GIVEN DONATIONS AND TOLD THEM TO KEEP THE STUFF TO RESELL.
    LOVE,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year the cookies are smaller and fewer in a box! They claim because of the cost of flour

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!