Thursday, January 22, 2009

my Bodhi tree

A guy in Oregon talked today about how he misses his "Bodhi tree", a tree under which he could sit unobserved and seek enlightenment.

I don't necessasarily find enlightenment there, but I get a certain sense of peace when I'm in sight of my favorite cottonwood tree. In "Little Big Man", there's a conversation between Jack Crabb and Old Lodgeskins that goes like this:

"I don’t understand it Grandfather...Why would they try to kill women and children?"

"Because they are strange. They do not seem to know where the Center of the Earth is."

When I've spent time in the shade of that tree, I feel as though I've been reminded where the center of the earth is.

It grows in a low spot in the pasture. These days if you're standing, it's possible to be observed there because the neighbors built a monstrosity of a house to the west. But I have some healthy Norway Spruce trees growing that will eventually block them, God willing.

Left to right, you can see the rental place, the horse's shed, our barn, our mobile home, our garage, and the roof of "the monstrosity". However, if one sits on the ground leaning against the trunk of the tree, the civilized world is blocked out. It's a great spot to take Sadie and play Frisbee.

Cliff hates the sticky little pieces of fuzz that cottonwoods shed at a certain time of the year, and I'm really hoping that doesn't become a factor in whether this tree lives or dies, now that we live closer to it.

I need to take some time to watch "Little Big Man" again. I love that movie.

P.S. Pictures were taken this morning.


10 comments:

  1. I love that shot!!!! Breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:50 AM

    Hope he doesn't cut it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. It sure looks cold. I need a tree that I can sit under...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, You have a good spot to sit and ponder and let the world pass by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. I used to have my my own "bodhi" tree, a sweet gum that had to be at least two hundred years old in the lawn of my childhood home. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cotton woods do like to share for sure. I suppose it depend on which way the wind blows for you, how gifted you are. Your pictures are beautiful. Have you told Cliff how much the tree means to you?
    It might make a difference too.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what I like about "Guy" he gets me thinking and remembering...Your sunrise is just gorgous this morning, and celest made me laugh when she said it looked cold, to me it looked warm!
    Have a good day Donna.
    da loop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture of your tree. Would be a shame to cut it down although we had beautiful weeping willows that gave us lots of shade in the summer but also got into the neighbors sewer system so those had to go. They were messy in the winter time too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of the trees. I am thinking if Cliff knew how much you loved that tree he wouldn't ever cut it down. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that tree!!! I think a tree in the middle of farmland, standing alone and tall, is such a beautiful sight. I always think, "How did YOU, of all the trees on this patch of land, receive the privilege of being the lone guard?" Awesome.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!