Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hope arrived in the mail today

Indeed, hope came in the form of herb seeds for my spring garden.

I was making spaghetti sauce one day recently and wondered why I'm not raising all those spices myself, rather than buying them. Now, my green thumb waxes and wanes; so I wouldn't bet the farm on whether any of these tiny seeds makes it to adulthood. But it's worth the price I paid for the uplift my spirit received when I opened the package. Stay tuned to see what happens.


Heartened by the promise of a garden, I Googled for some variety of tomato that is blight-resistant and found a relative newcomer developed in, of all places, Oregon.
Check it out. Notice that it's not blight-free; nobody has come up with a tomato that's guaranteed not to get blight. But it appears to be the most resistant of any tomato thus far.

Celebrity tomatoes have performed pretty well for me in the past, and those will likely be my main choice when I go to buy plants. But I think I'll order a packet of Legend seeds, just for the fun of it.

Spring lies ahead, and that's change we can believe in.


3 comments:

  1. Good luck. I hope we are able to keep all these plants and blooms going another spring and summer season. George does really good with his herbs. If you have any questions send me an email and we can ask him. lol
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh herbs and usually they are easy to grow too. I don't do well at all taking them in the house as they always die on me but outside in the summer they do well. It's the only kind of garden I do grow. There isn't much room at our house for anything else. It's a great thing that we have Spring to look forward too. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Last summer I raised cilantro, it bolted!, thyme, wonderful!, basil, chives, and rosemary. I froze what I didn't use and am using it now. I love plucking my thyme, rosemary and chives out of the freezer!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!