Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Eating from historic dishes

In an entry a couple of weeks ago I shared pictures of the old ice cream dishes that belonged to my mom's grandmother, mentioning that it seemed like a shame to have them stored out of sight all the time.

My friend Lona emailed me with some advice, and I copy and paste this from her note (all my old chat room buddies call me "Mo", and I love it):

Mo, I enjoyed reading about the ice cream dishes, i have so many of my grandmothers dishes .. she was married in 1900 so most over 100 years old.. since my mom was an only child and I was too.. they all came my way. Many sat on top shelves in moms kitchen, Then after her death, a few of them i used on occasion. But a few years ago i thought.. my kids are not that interested in these things, and I might as well use them.. and I have used many of them in the past years. I eat my salad out of a beautiful painted china bowl.. I know its an antique and probably worth some bucks, but also decided I was worth it..LOL. So put some ice cream in those and really enjoy them.. it will taste so good.

Today I decided to do just that.



Cliff thought it was a grand idea!

Not only that, but my daughter's family will be here Sunday for a Superbowl/taco party. And we shall eat dessert from my great-grandmother's dishes.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful, and you know you will never sell them because they do mean alot... so use them and enjoy them! Great!

    Love, Jess

    PS The ice cream looks great...think you could send some my way? I like Andy's Cookie Dough JackHammers...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Those are awesome dishes! I'm kind of jealous about the tacos...what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. use them, that's what i always say!
    beautiful bowls, & the ice cream looks great, seems cliff agrees. lol
    huggies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sense in having something nice if you can't enjoy it! The dessert looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to enjoy them. You can tell by the grin on Cliff's face that he is enjoying it also. That dessert looks yummy. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:27 PM

    that Lona...she does keep us all in line with her wisdom...and your "dessert" looks so lucious..and I can tell that Cliff thinks...WOW...what a wonderful idea!!! God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAY TO GO MOSIE!!! WHY DO WE SAVE THESE OLD BEAUTIFUL THINGS TO BE PAST DOWN TO OTHERS WHERE THEY WILL SIT HIDDEN IN CLOSETS OR WORSE, SOLD???
    LOVE,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Use em! That is why I use my Christmas dishes throughout the entire Christmas season, not just the main meal

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!