Saturday, January 17, 2009

Remembering teachers

During the holiday season a year or two (or maybe five, who knows) after Cliff started working at the job he now holds, I was feeling extra-thankful: I had cute little grandchildren, we had a steady and ever-growing income, and I was at an age where I realized that if I wanted to express my appreciation to certain people, I had better be doing it, because some of them were pretty old. I had a word-processor at the time, and I typed out letters of thanks to people from my then-present and my distant past: The lady who had helped Cliff secure his job, people Cliff had worked for in years gone by, an uncle and a brother-in-law (for their service in World War II). I'm telling you, I was overflowing with gratitude that year and determined to share it!

Somehow, I found the address of my first-ever school teacher, Mrs. Eighmy, and wrote her, telling things I remembered about her and how much I adored her as a child. She wrote a reply that warmed my heart.

There was another teacher whose words had influenced me strongly: Miss Dedman. She taught English at North Kansas City High School, and I had her in my junior and senior years.

All this thankfulness was, I believe, long before my discovery of the Internet (maybe 1995?); so I must have gone through the Kansas City telephone book looking for the name "Dedman" with addresses north of the river.

The person I contacted, it turns out, was her sister; she sadly informed me that Miss Dedman had Alzheimer's and wouldn't benefit from my letter, because she no longer had knowledge of anything. I believe I sent the letter I had written to her, in hopes she would appreciate hearing about a life that had been touched by her sister.

Yesterday morning in one of my meanderings down memory lane, I decided to do a Google search on "Mary Ellen Dedman"; yes, I remember her full name.

I was amazed to find two pictures of her.


Above, she is the third person from the left in the third row from the back; now, if this had been the only picture I found, I wouldn't have been sure it was her.

In this one, however, there's no doubt it's her... just a younger Miss Dedman than when she taught my Senior Literature class. I didn't know she had ever been a principal.

I also found she had written a book about her Church: "A Spire to God: A history of the Christian Church, Plattsburg, Missouri , 1843- 1968"

I thought to myself how wonderful it would be to have a book Miss Dedman wrote, even though it's about a subject that really isn't of interest to me.

Alas, although it came up in a search on half.com, it was unavailable.

As I sat here typing this entry, I realized all I have to do is contact the Church; if anyone has an old, extra copy of the book, it would be a member of that church!

I'm back from a trip to Google now: ah yes, they have a website.

Do you see why I never get anything accomplished? This wonderful Internet leads me on chases like this all the time!

Do you suppose they'll let me have a computer when I'm in the nursing home? Because the older I get, the more things I have to Google!

4 comments:

  1. I hope so! At 1 AM last night I was looking looking at the Lowe's website for something we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and amazing that you can track people so easly!

    Have a great weekend
    Love,Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better starts checking now ... so you're sure to go to the right home. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great?! John Scalzi has written about his "law of internet invocation" where if you mention someone by name on the net, eventually they will see it. I wrote about my all time favorite school teacher on my blog and many years later, my post found its way to him via a former student. And he wrote me an email! Now I keep track of his doings on Facebook. He ended up on there because of his grandchildren. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!