Saturday, January 10, 2009

I don't get out much, it's true

Coming home from the motorcycle show on Front Street, Cliff and I exited off I-435 onto 24 highway in Independence.

Now, normally, the farthest west we travel into Independence on 24 is Hub Cycle (a great place to shop, for all you motorcycle owners).

So I have to say we were in for a rude awakening when we got off I-435.


At the first two intersections we came to, there were vagrants begging for money. One held up a sign that said, "Homeless and Hungry".

With one hand he held up the sign. In the other hand, he held a cigarette he was smoking.

DUDE!!!! Maybe you're hungry because you spent your grocery money for ciggies?

Once we got past the beggers, we saw block after block of razed buildings and property for sale. I can't imagine anybody buying property in such a neighborhood.

What would Harry Truman think of his hometown now?

Oh, one bright spot. There's a McDonald's on 24 highway in Independence that gives you the biggest ice cream cones you've ever seen, for the same price all McDonald's charge. They have chocolate, vanilla, and twist flavors. I can never eat over half of mine; they make those ice cream cones THAT big!

Don't say I never gave you Kansas City folks a tip! I know ALL about fine dining.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I would like that neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sad about the beggers. I don't see many around here, but at Christmas time there was one along the road with a sign 'will work for food' Hope he found work. That is more the way to go I think
    Glad you found that bright spot in your day and enjoyed the ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Sometimes I go to a fast food place and buy them a hamburger or sandwich, I never give them money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:33 AM

    There was a homeless guy who used to hang around where I worked. He would sleep under the overhang on our building and I did buy him something to eat more than once (noting that he always had his own drink!!) But - there is another guy who sits at one of the main intersections (with a dog) and begs. I figure if he can feed the dog - he can feed himself. Is that harsh?

    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:35 AM

    P.S. The music box is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In south FL the beggers are organized...they work in shifts...our church made "care Packages"for them...which they refused....said they would only take money...the local newspaper wrote that some make as much as $300-$400 a day!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!