Monday, January 05, 2009

A big day for our Ford pickup



There she is, in all her glory: Our 1988 Ford pickup; we bought her used in 1989 with 14,000 miles on her.

Back then, a pickup was a necessity. I was raising bobby calves on milk from my Jersey cows, and we had to have some way to transport the calves to and from our place. Not to mention hauling all the feed required for the animals.

Once I stopped milking and calf-raising, the pickup was used less and less. We always keep a trailer hitch on the family car, and most anything we need to transport can be hauled on one of various trailers around here. The exception is the livestock trailer, which must be pulled with the pickup, of course. The only livestock that's been hauled lately has been Secret, being taken to her romantic (thus far fruitless) trysts.

Still, it's handy to have a pickup. Even one that gets about ten miles per gallon of gas. The old boat now has 112,000 miles on the speedometer.

Ah, but the big news: This year old Brownie is officially a classic! As long as we don't drive her over 1,000 miles in a years time, we will never again have to buy license for her. Why? She's a historic vehicle now, and gets the plates that go with that distinction.

We have to keep her. Who'd buy a truck that gets such lousy mileage, even a classic?

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:44 PM

    bet if you put it on "craigslist" it would go...would be worth the effort to see just what it is worth...to a person who restores cars etc...anyway...congrats on your "antique" LOL...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! That's pretty nifty.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend I'm sure you will treasure forever. Take care and enjoy,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, there are pleanty of people around who would love to have such a truck without a thought to the mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fords are 'dern good' vehicles. Around here it would have a lot of rust from all the salt they put on the roads in the winter. I don't see any on your truck. My 2000 Taurus has a couple of rust spots already. A historic vehicle??? If that's the case we must be prehistoric. Nice not to have to buy plates! 'On Ya' -ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old Brownie is lucky that he doesn't have all the salt to contend with that we have around here. Really does a job on the vehicles and horse trailers.

    So Miss Secret may have a secret now!? I hope things 'took' and that you'll have a new baby this spring. Just think of all the blog picture opportunities!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Congrats, but I think I gotcha beat! my old 78 Chevy has 93,000 plus and is still going. It gets about 20 on the hiway and 17 in the stop and go town junk. One thing, they don't make 'em like they used to.
    I will say I had to put a new engine and tranny in it a few yrs ago.
    get cliff to paint it John Deere green, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! They just don't make em like they used to do they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a Ford pick-up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if I keep my car that long I won't have to buy license either.... I suppose I have to wait a bit because its only 1995.
    sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank God the price of gas went down. When you're getting 20 miles a gallon, $2 a gallon is better than $4. I can imagine how much less your pocketbook pinches now as compared to before.
    Jude

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!