Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Saving money

Yesterday I got a phone call from Embarq, my telephone company. A man said he could save me some money on the bundle I have with them (DSL, phone, and DishTV).

First of all he wanted me to put my long distance service back with them instead of using the service I found at lowermybills.com. We talked a little and found a plan I could live with.

Then we got into a discussion about my DSL. I told him that, although I'm paying for the fastest service, since we moved out back of the barn, everything loads much slower. He checked by pinging or something, and sure enough: I'm only getting half what I pay for.

If someone comes out and checks it out, I pay. I can talk to their techs, but I've already done that. At my age, it isn't fun crawling around under my desk plugging and unplugging wires to see what works and what doesn't.

Finally he offered to lower what I pay for DSL to the price of the service I'm actually getting.

I'll take that.

I think I just cut $30 a month off my bundled bill.

And I recently cut back my Dish to 200, rather than 250 channels. That's another $20.

These days it's wise to cut back where you can.

Believe me, if times get too hard, I can live with an old-fashioned antenna. And our main television is digital, so no box will be required.

4 comments:

  1. So many younger people don't know how to say NO!! Enough already!!!
    If more people would cut back on multiple cell phones and cable tv, and 4 wheel drive vehicles. I bet we could save a lot of money.
    My main concern is kids don't want to earn money...They want it given to them. I'm afraid some are in for a rude awakening one day. So many are losing every thing from living above their income. It makes me sad to see this.
    I have a goal to have everything paid for before I'm 62... and have a little savings.
    God bless and take care.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. We oldies, (me not you)could do without a lot of things if we had to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been cutting back on my bills as much as possible too. I cut my dish channels back a few months ago and I don't miss the extra ones at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donna,

    I just found your blog online and wanted to apologize that you've had recent issues with your DSL service. I just wanted to reach out to let you know that I'm here to help if you ever need me. Just send me an email at Embarq_Joey@embarq.com and I'll gladly help out. I wish you could see the beautiful fall foilage in North Carolina.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!