Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Historic Sedalia, Missouri

When we were to meet up with Cliff's cousins in Sedalia a few days ago, we arrived about two hours early. We decided to ride the motorcycle through historic district of the town to pass the time.

That wonderful old building on the corner caught my eye.

It's vacant. On passing, I noticed a sign saying something about "national register of historic places". But Google as I might, I haven't found anything to help me identify the building. There are several magnificent old empty buildings on and near the square.

There was some sort of statue or memorial on every side of the lovely old courthouse. (Yes, I realize there was a smudge on my lens that day in the lower left-hand corner.)

You don't see many memorials to dogs, although one of these days when Cliff and I ride to Warrensburg, I'll take pictures of a famous dog memorial there and tell you about it.

I'm tellin' ya, Sedalia has memorials! This one is for fallen soldiers who fought in Vietnam.

Cliff spends lots of time looking at things like this. There was nothing to tell us what war it was used in, or how old it was.

Our original plans had been to spend Saturday night in the Hotel Bothwell, but since we ended up in Arkansas on Saturday, we didn't get to do it. Maybe another time. At least we got to walk into the lobby and see what it looked like; it's right across the street from the courthouse.

It makes you feel you are stepping back in time.

I could have spent lots more time in the historic district, but we did have some people to meet. Funny thing is, I've spent lots of time in Sedalia at the state fair, but I never ventured into any other part of town. Just think what I was missing!

4 comments:

  1. That is an amazing old building. I would love to know what it was in its day.

    Great pics.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful old buildings. I like stepping back in time like that. Some how the old had more warmth and a welcoming atmosphere. I bet you go back there next time you are that way. 'On Ya'- ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely day. I am afraid we are going to lose so many historic sites due to the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That building originally housed the Missouri Trust Co. and is being restored right now by a not-for-profit organization. I'm sending you some info and a link to the site where I found it. By the way, do you prefer us to use your AOL or your Gmail address now?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!