Thursday, November 06, 2008

An ailing doctor

I called the doctor's office to make an appointment for Cliff: his regular three-month checkup and lab work (to make sure Lipitor isn't destroying his liver). I asked for Dr. D., and was told, "He's still on medical leave."

I didn't know if I should ask about the medical problem or not; my brain went into high speed, and first I said, "Well, then Dr. G. will be fine."

"There will be quite a long wait, then."

No surprise there. Everybody loves Dr. G. He wrote the book on bedside manner.

I was about to ask for a nurse-practitioner when I recalled seeing a new, young doctor in the halls of their offices, last time we were there. In the back of my mind, I was doing some fast thinking about how both Dr. G and Dr. D are getting on in years. Maybe we'd better be getting to know the new generation.

"How about that new, young doctor? He'd be fine with us."

So Cliff has an appointment with young Dr. H next week. I did get up the nerve to ask what's wrong with Dr. D. Turns out he woke up one morning and couldn't move his left leg. Tests were done, and they found out he had a brain tumor. He must have done some research that made him choose to have surgery out on the west coast, in California. He's now recuperating, back home in Missouri.

We never know what tomorrow will bring, do we?

On a side note: My Blogger friend who lives in Singapore is concerned about his dad's health. He would appreciate any prayers and positive thoughts sent his way.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Dr. D. You are so right...we sure don't know what will happen when we wake up.
    Hope you like the new Doc.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the new doc is a good one. I'm sorry to hear about Dr D. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right Donna we don't know what tomorrow will bring. Sorry about Dr. D , but am glad you have gotten y'all a new doc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do tend to forget that our docs can become ill too. Hope he makes a thorough recovery and is able to return to his practise.

    New young Doc? Me too. It's scary. He doesn't have any wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for Cliff - been through an Internist (moved), a friend who is a nurse practitioner (moved) and am now "reduced" to a D.O. All since the bypass. Hard to maintain continuity of care that way, isn't it?

    Hope all is going well for both of youse guys' health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each day is a gift.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MAN... I've been with the same dr for over 13 years. I don't ever want to change. LOL I pray the Lord returns first. HA! Ü

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Donna,

    Hope all is well with Cliff. He is blessed to have you. You guys are a great couple.

    I would like to thank you for the mention and link you placed in your post. I appreciate this very much.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you and Cliff like your new doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:02 PM

    Aww I feel so sorry for Doctor D. This is a sad story

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am beinging to realize how short our time of earth is..........Anne

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!