Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Unraveling my childhood

You can click on the pictures to see them better.


My mom had a book called "My personal history and family record book". If I were the type to dig into my genealogy, this would be a great start. In fact, I believe I loaned it to a cousin who's digging up all the family bones. I'm just too lazy to begin such an effort.

Today I dug this book out in hopes it would help me identify some people in old pictures, but alas, it did not.

However, I found a page listing my mom's job history, and I now realize that my memory goes back further than I thought. On her list, she wrote "Nodaway Tel. Co., August 1948 to October, 1949".

I have distinct memories from our time at Nodaway, Iowa. I remember some of the neighbor kids. I even recollect the name of one little neighbor girl: Mickey Snowden. She was younger than I, and had long, wavy hair.

I was four years old in 1948, and it amazes me that I have such vivid pictures in my mind of that time. I even recall a meal we had once, because whatever was served, I ate only bread and gravy. Then after supper I was playing with a couple of kids outside and Mother heard me tell them, "I had bread and gravy for supper."

She quickly came out and let it be known that wasn't all we had for supper. Hey, I thought I was bragging! I liked nothing better than Mama's gravy.

I recall someone setting up benches on a vacant lot there, and showing "Dagwood and Blondie" movies to anyone who wanted to come.

So many memories from that time. Thanks, Mother!

(By the way, that job listed as "chicken-picker" cracks me up.)


On to a later time, 1960. I was always looking for something to photograph back then. I believe this was taken when the family was gathered to celebrate Thanksgiving at grandma's place. Some cousins, my nephew, Larry, and I were wandering in the pasture and we came upon what was left of an old car. I had them pose, and you see the result. Cousins Linda, Royce and Scotty in front, nephew Larry "driving". I don't know what he has on his head. Maybe a hubcap? Or maybe it's an actual hat.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool. I love going through old stuff like this. It always brings back memories you had forgotten you had. :-)

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Love those old memories and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have a book like that about your mom. Mine never liked writing cards letters or anything and never left a diary of any kind around. She had lots of pictures though and alot of them are of people I don't know at all. Sometimes I think my mom was a stranger to me. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL about the bread & gravy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son used to like bread and water to drink. That's all he would ever want on holidays. It was so weird. So I used to get teased that all I could afford to feed him was bread and water.
    You made me think way back to my old playmates when I was very small. Amazing how much you can recall if you try.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that picture. And your mother had very pretty handwriting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!