Monday, November 17, 2008

Our barn

In 1977, we were in need of a barn of some sort. Trouble is, we were lacking funds, which is pretty much the story of our lives. We've always had great credit, but since I'm the one who has to figure out how to pay the bills, I didn't really want to use a credit card to purchase the lumber and metal for our barn. I suggested that the frame and roof be constructed (I assume I somehow squeezed enough money for that from our budget, or maybe we received a nice income-tax refund) and we'd finish the barn when we got more funds. This barn-raising was a big deal, and friends and relatives were ready to help. That guy at the peak of the roof is Bruce, a co-worker of Cliff's at the time.
That's Cliff and the same two brothers who are pictured in a previous entry.

Cliff with our son, Jim.


That's Cliff's youngest brother, Warren. He died several years ago.
Anyway. It was a good three or four years before we got sides on that barn. Cliff actually gave up on ever getting it finished. I don't recall now whether I finally agreed to buy the rest of the materials on credit, or if there was some sort of windfall that came in to supply the cash for the barn tin. I'm sure the neighbors were shocked to see the structure finally completed. We've always lived hand-to-mouth like that, and when I think about it, I'm amazed we got by as well as we did. Cliff later added wings on both sides of the barn. I milked cows in the wing on the right... it's now used for storage; and he uses the other side to park various tractors and trailers.

You can see it here, behind me and Libby. Remember Libby?

And here, in a picture from 2002.

8 comments:

  1. I love looking at old pic's.

    Thanks for sharing..
    I certinaly enjoy it.

    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Donna.....it's nice to see dreams come through eh? Looks to me like that barn was and is a much needed structure in your lives....:)
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your old pictures. That barn sure is nice! I've always liked the big W.
    How's Libby doing? I forgot about her!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love old barns...and i love old pictures...and i lvoe missouri... **sigh** you are making me homesick :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the barn story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, however long it took, it looks like a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure is a nice looking barn. I can imagine how elated you both must have been when it was finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story to share, Donna. You know, you're quite the visionary. When we were on one of the Caribbean islands (maybe Grenada???), we saw so many partially constructed homes. We asked our driver what the deal was and he said that people didn't created debt there as we do in the USA. They built what they could afford, then saved for the next phase, until the house was finished. Needless to say, it took years for those homes to be completed. And here you were, doing a similar thing with your barn. Neat!
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!