Saturday, November 08, 2008

Waitresses (and waiters) rule!

I just came from reading Carlene's latest blog entry. I simply have to give my input.

Carlene was reading a story about a waitress who received a $10,000 tip.

Here's what she had to say about comments people had left concerning the story:


"
Now 99% of the comments were positive, but there was this one person…(I will call her “F” ) who said that when she dined out that she left a 10% tip; unless the service was not what she expected…then she would leave a quarter and a note explaining why."

OK, now my favorite pastor has made the following statement at various times: "If a waitress is good, I leave a nice tip because she deserves it; if she's terrible, I leave a good tip because she's going to be out of a job soon, and she's going to be needing it."

I've related this to Cliff, and he agrees with the pastor. Cliff has a generous nature. We're not rich, but he likes to tip well. If the service isn't as good as perhaps it ought to be, Cliff just says, "Well, at least she/he is holding down a job."

Come on, folks. Tip your waitresses and waiters.

I certainly wouldn't attempt to do their jobs!

In the current economy, it could be you or me waiting tables.

9 comments:

  1. I've been known to add an extra dollar after John walks away to the cash register.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No, now you know that I came back 3 times. Tipping....we always tip really, really well cuz daughter was a waitress for way too many years and she would tell us how people stiff the waitresses. And it is mostly the elderly who are the guilty ones.
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Mo. I also tip well. These people are on their feet all day or night and work hard. I've been with a group of women who some of them refuse to tip anything, so I always throw in the extra. These women are JO. Co. women also. I say shame on anybody who doesn't leave a nice tip! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby always tips well. I think it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Singapore, we don't have a custom to tip the waiters. We just pay for the S$++ indicated in the bill but unsure how much goes to the waiters themselves.

    There is this argument brewing for quite a long time now whether to implement such a rule to improve service quality here... but for now, we expect the management of the establishment to improve on their own if they want repeat customers and a good reputation.

    I guess, you pay how you feel is appropriate. Compassion is noble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no reason not to be generous and leave at the least, a decent tip for a waiter or waitress. They are on their feeet, lugging hot and cold foods, and sometimes they are just having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have always tipped, and always will. Ian and I both lived off of tips when we were younger and we understand how important tips can be. If we go to the breakfast bar at Ryans, even though all the waitress has to do is keep our drinks filled, she will get three or four dollars out of us. If we go to any restaurant they get at least five dollars, usually more. I believe in tipping, it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Wow...we tip well...and I am proud to be able to do so..if a waiter or waitress doesn't do well..we will mention it to her..and hopefully "constructive critism" is good...but we always tip...good or bad...a job is a job...at least they aren't on welfare...or if they are they are trying...more than some I know!!! God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always tip well if the service is good. I mean, really well. If it's bad, I'll stick with a smaller tip. Only if the waitress is downright RUDE will I walk out and leave nothing. That's very rare. LOL!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!