Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It was quite a day

Indeed, a strange and varied day. In the picture: Cliff flanked by two cousins, Junior and Edna (they're brother and sister); and on the right, his sister Rena.


It wasn't a happy occasion that got them together. Junior's youngest son, who lived in this area, succumbed to cancer Thursday; today was the day of the funeral. So Junior and Edna spent the night here last night.

Edna is not only Cliff's cousin, she's also my number one Internet buddy. In fact, I didn't really know her well until we exchanged email addresses; that's how we got acquainted, swapping jokes and websites and writing brief notes to one another.


Junior can play a mean guitar, and has spent many hours singing and playing with local bands, wherever he lived.



Any time I hear "The Year Clayton Delaney Died", I think of Junior. It was written about somebody just like him.

After attending the funeral, Cliff, Rena, and I went to vote. Then we ate lunch at the local Mexican place and Cliff went to work as always.

Indeed, a strange, bittersweet day.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the sad occasion that brought your cousins/friends to visit, but glad that you had some time together.

    Tom T Hall and "Clayton Delaney" in particular are favorites of mine.

    Any word on Secret's love life? ;o)

    Hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wondered who's white car was there when I went to work this morning, but forgot to ask tonight. I had forgotten that song until I saw you mention it, and the words were all instantly back like I'd heard it every day of my life. Spooky, that. It's like "Pittsburgh Steelers" or "Have You Left the One You Left Me For." Oh, there are SO many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear the news.

    Incidentally, my Mom called to inform the passing of a relative this morning.

    Got the news just now. Obama has won. The first US president. Congrats to the US people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many times the means of bringing family together is a funeral. It would be wonderful if we all took time to visit on happier occassions but it seems it never turns out that way. Life is full of 'bittersweet' moments.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I am so sorry for your family's loss.

    I haven't heard that song for years. That brings back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about Junior's son. Cancer takes so many. Very sad.

    I remember the Clayton Delaney song very well. I was singing that song not very long ago actually. I remember most of Tom T. Halls songs!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!