Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wild Grapevines

I mentioned before that when we're taking our morning walk, Cliff keeps up a running commentary about our trees.  Wild grapevines drive him nuts; they worm their way up the trunks of good trees and eventually pull them to one side or another.  Some of the older ones are as big around as my arm.
See those two walnut trees in front of my cabin?  When I first started spending time back there, I took a bow-saw with me and severed huge grapevines that were climbing up both trees.  At that time the vines had both of them leaning drastically toward one another; the one on the right recovered and straightened up, while the one on the left still leans.  In my mind I refer to those two trees as the old Indian braves who guard my cabin.  Here's a slideshow of various wild grapevine situations on our place:  the last ones show how a steep bank is totally covered with a mass of vines.  



It's a shame that these pesky vines don't bear decent fruit.  Their only purpose seems to be to deform trees.  
Today our temperatures reached sixty degrees by 11 o'clock, and we went for the first motorcycle ride we've had since November; it was quite refreshing and fun.  We went to Colonial nursery and got seed potatoes and some onion sets, as well as a half-pound of Bodacious sweet corn seed.  I got far too many seed potatoes; if I were to plant them all, I wouldn't have room for anything else in my garden.  I don't know what I was thinking!  I guess the long winter that has gotten to me:  I have all these cabbage and broccoli plants started in the house, far more than we need or have room for.  I could have Cliff make the garden bigger, but am I able to handle that?  Last years efforts wore me to a frazzle.  
By the way, what is a frazzle, does anybody know?  My mom was often worn to a frazzle.  
Never mind, the answer to that question was right here on my Mac Mini:

frazzle |ˈfrazəl| informal
verb [ trans. ] [usu. as adj. ] ( frazzled)
cause to feel completely exhausted; wear out : a frazzled parent.
• fray : change the skirt if it gets frazzled | figurative it's enough to frazzle the nerves.
noun ( a frazzle)
the state of being completely exhausted or worn out : I'm tired, worn to a frazzle.
ORIGIN early 19th cent. (originally dialect): perhaps a blend of fray 1 and obsolete fazle [ravel out,] of Germanic origin.

5 comments:

  1. The wild grape is doing its best to take over Cliff Drive too.... I think it's working in tandem with the bush honeysuckle... which can only be destroyed by nuclear attack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you brought it up, I didn't know what a frazzle was either. I bet there are tons of old saying like that that we don't know about. Check out the book, Pig on Ice. It tells you origins and definitions of older saying like that. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:39 AM

    CHILDHOOD MEMORIES OF WONDERFUL GRAPEVINE SWINGS IN ARKANSAS, MISSOURI AND OKLAHOMA TOO.

    DAD MOVED AROUND A LOT LOOKING FOR A BETTER PLACE.
    SWINGS WITH THE VINE COMING FROM WAY UP IN THE TREE WERE MOST FUN. ONE I REMEMBER SWUNG ACROSS A CREEK AND OLDER KIDS KEPT WE LITTLE ONES GOING HIGH EVEN THO BEGGING TO STOP. sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather has been just gorgeous here lately as well. So glad that spring has sprung!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you two got to get out for a while. Pretty weather makes a person think of gardening and flowers. Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!