Friday, March 26, 2010

A gardening day

I've spent most of today outside.  It was cool enough that I needed a jacket most of the time, and quite windy.  But I sure enjoyed myself.  
Early in the day, I pulled weeds from around some flowers.  It was 32 degrees at the time.   
Right after noon I decided to see if the soil was dry enough to till; it was a little wetter than I'd have liked, but since rain is supposed to come tomorrow I decided to plant a few things anyway:  Alaska peas, sugar peas, lettuce, beets, radishes, and onions.  None of these should be hurt by a freeze.  
I'm worn out, but it's exciting to have some seeds in the ground.  I didn't plant potatoes because I'm holding out for Good Friday; here's hoping it's dry enough at that time to plant them.  

4 comments:

  1. It must be a wonderful feeling spending the day in your garden. I know that any work like that is way beyond what I'd be able to do and haven't had a garden in years. I'm lucky to keep up with the flower beds. Still had snow here yesterday and it's down in the 20's tonight. It will be quite awhile before anyone around here thinks about planting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy day but you accomplished a lot. Those things will be yummy when they start bearing. It's sunshiny but windy here today. Gonna rain tomorrow or so they say. May be some storms. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:31 AM

    WISH I HAD A GARDEN AND ABLE TO WORK IN IT.
    SO MANY NICE GARDENS OVER PAST YEARS TO REMEMBER.

    SITTING IN A HOME-MADE TEEPEE WITH THE YOUNG CHILDREN, NEAR THE GARDEN, EATING RAW TURNIPS, CARROTS, CANTALOUPS AND DRINKING TAP WATER BROUGHT FROM THE HOUSE.
    THE CHILDREN LOVED IT. NOW TELLING THEIR GRAND CHILDREN ABOUT IT.

    TIME DOES MARCH ON AS IT MUST.
    GOOD MEMORIES. sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not safe to plant here yet; usually Memorial Day weekend. I do buy my plants prior to that and harden them off (outside during the day, inside at night) until I get so many that it's too much trouble. Then it's every plant for itself.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!