Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A barefoot walk

Cliff and I had to go after one of his prescriptions this morning; which didn't leave us sufficient time to take our walk by the time I fixed dinner and we ate.  After he went to work, I dug a pair of shorts out of a drawer (yes, SHORTS!) and Sadie and I headed out; I decided to walk barefoot.  Oh, it's a fine day here in Missouri.  


Adam's horses haven't been back begging hay at the barn since they left the pen, early this morning.


Bonnie and Sir Loin have stayed out in the big pasture all day, too.  Notice the grass hanging from Bonnie's mouth.  


At almost nine months of age, Sir Loin could be weaned.  Probably should be.  But once he's weaned, I either have to let Bonnie go dry or milk her every day.  I'm really not ready to do either.  When the time comes, we'll either take him to Cliff's brother's place long enough for him to forget his mother's milk, or else haul him straight to the butcher shop.  I'd really like to bring him back here and use him as a heat detecter so I'll know when his mom is in heat; once we called the AI man, we'd take Sir to the butcher.  


   There's still snow in the shady, wooded areas.  


I walked barefoot through a small patch.  Just because it was there.  


Then, back at the house, I walked barefoot through the snow to clean the mud off my feet.  
I'm glad I got out and enjoyed today, because tomorrow's high temperatures aren't supposed to get out of the forties.

5 comments:

  1. We've been in those 40's since last Saturday when the latest front came through. Now tomorrow it may be 50 but still not warm enough for barefoot. Have you ever tried to see how much you save by raising your own beef? Just a thought. It's got to be sooo much better anyway that it wouldn't make any difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:59 PM

    GOOD OLD MISSOURI.
    THOSE MANY YEARS LIVING IN SPRINGFIELD, BOUGHT BEEFS SUCH AS 'SIR LOIN' AND HIRED THEM TO BE BUTCHERED AND PACKAGED READY TO PLACE IN OUR LARGE HOME FREEZER, LOTS OF STEAKS, ROASTS, HAMBURGERS AND MEAT LOAFS.

    COUPLED WITH A BIG HOME GARDEN EACH YEAR. THAT IS LIVING. sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACK! You're going to make burgers out of that cute little thing?

    I bet he will taste good at least.

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty walk! Yesterday was lovely. Today...so far, just blech.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My maternal grandmother would have "tanned your hide"! lol She would never let her children go barefoot until May.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!