Thursday, April 05, 2012

We aren't scared

To tell you the truth, Cliff and I aren't worried about Rachel having cancer.  We were at first, very much; but then we started getting positive news.  This seems to us like a battle she will win.  She feels very positive about the outcome too.  Of course we are sorry she has to go through surgery and recuperation; that's never fun.  We will breathe much easier after surgery has been performed, because that's when they "stage" the cancer, but they seem confident so far that it is not in the lymph glands.  
I was amazed to learn that insurance will pay for her new breast, which will be an implant.  The plastic surgeon will be right there in the operating room  to begin that work.  It's a process, and will take some time and lots of doctor visits.  When that breast is the size she likes, they will stop.  Then they will make her other breast match it.  Is that not amazing?  I wonder when this sort of treatment was invented, because I know women who had breast surgery twenty years ago that didn't get the benefit of this sort of treatment.   
I hope I got all this information correct.  My daughter was reluctant to blog about boobies, so I thought I'd share just a tiny bit of information.  Remember, I'm the woman who had a breast reduction and told my readers all about it.  I don't consider breasts a naughty subject.  
I hope one of these days, perhaps at some time after surgery, Rachel will share some of the details using her unique brand of humor... which of course is a family trait she inherited from both sides, but especially from her father.  
Among other news, it makes a person think when she hears that a former neighbor stabbed his drug dealer with a screwdriver because the guy gave him baking powder instead of the drug he paid for.  Yeah.  This idiot lived right next door.  

12 comments:

  1. I think that attitude is half the battle and with that being said, your daughters going to win for sure! If things were not looking good for her, I think the doctors would have said so already. It was good to read that person was a former neighbor. What a blessing they moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your neighbors are like some folks I read about in the papers.

    Glad your daughter is getting good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BREASTS are not naughty. They feed and nourish us as infants. I think it is AMAZING that the doctors can do this reconstruction for her, right from the get go. She has a GREAT attitude and that will carry her through the surgery and recovery. Her humor is illuminating. I think that rubbed off from you Donna. What's with this CRAZY person with a screwdriver going up against a DRUG DEALER? That's how people get killed. GLAD he moved. Take care. HAPPY EASTER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the neighbors who moved away, right? (and you were glad of it) Cancer is scary, but many kinds are so treatable these days. Just wish lung cancer were. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad all of you are thinking positive and glad that weirdo neighbor is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Stupid boobs are always getting in my way."
    --Jessica Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I talked about my breast reduction last year on my blog as well. Best decision I've made. I'll keep you're daughter in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to hear what she has to say about the subject.

    Thanks for keeping us abreast!

    Hee hee hee....

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very good sign that the lymph nodes are clear. I think everything is going to be fine. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with Rachel and your family though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were doing this type of reconstruction when my sister had surgery in 2004. My stepdaughter had no insurance at the time of her surgery almost 3 years ago so sadly she still hasn't had reconstruction.

    I read each of yours and Rachel's updates but sometimes I have foot in mouth disease when it comes to breast cancer so I keep my mouth shut for the most part. I'm thinking of all of you and hoping for the best possible outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They were doing this type of reconstruction when my sister had surgery in 2004. My stepdaughter had no insurance at the time of her surgery almost 3 years ago so sadly she still hasn't had reconstruction.

    I read each of yours and Rachel's updates but sometimes I have foot in mouth disease when it comes to breast cancer so I keep my mouth shut for the most part. I'm thinking of all of you and hoping for the best possible outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am almost at a loss for words. hugs and prayers for the best possible outcome

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!