Thursday, April 19, 2012

Parsnips

I have never raised parsnips.  I gave it a try a couple of times, but they never came through the earth as seedlings.  It's small wonder, really:  From the information I've found, parsnips take three to four weeks to germinate.  By the time they would have germinated, I probably gave up in despair and planted something else in their spot.    
I remember my mother raising parsnips once, when we lived in Eagleville.  She fixed them in the oven somehow, and it seems as though she may have used some sort of glaze on them like I use making glazed carrots.  I remember that I loved them at first bite.  That's the last time I tasted parsnips, I suppose.  Perhaps the only time.  
I was at a place in Buckner that was selling packets of last years seeds for a dime each; I noticed the package of parsnip seeds and got it.  That was at least a couple of weeks ago, and so far the only green breaking through the soil where I planted them is the occasional weed or blade of grass.  
Reading an article on how to grow parsnips, I learned that parsnips are sweeter if they are left in the ground until there have been a few frosts, and they can actually be overwintered if a foot-deep layer of straw is placed on top of them.  They are sweetest in the spring, after wintering in the ground while dormant.  
I also looked at various sites telling how to prepare parsnips.  None of them mention a glaze; I wonder, are they just naturally that sweet, or did my mom add sugar?  Maybe my sister will remember.  I'll have to ask her.
If any of my readers have experience with raising and cooking parsnips, I'd love to hear your tips.

9 comments:

  1. NEVER had a parsnip in my life. GOOD LUCK. Hope someone ekse has some wisdom to share that will be helpful. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We raise parsnips every year and they do take a long time to germinate. I leave them in the ground over the winter - just digging them now in fact. Here in WY we can get temps as low as -30 but I just cover them with a layer of straw/hay. We grow enough to feed some to Molly milk cow - WOW does she love them. I just peel them and slice them into sticks and either fry them in butter/oil or roast them in butter/oil >>> SOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best way to prepare parsnips is with a grenade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to cook her parsnips in with potatoes and then drain them fry them in bacon drippings. They were good. Other than that I know very little...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only time I've had or made parsnips is in soup such as beef barley. They're cut in small cubes & cooked along with the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my Mom preparing them and they were good but I wasn't taking notes when I was in grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. in 2010 my son planted turnips that he bought from the hardware here that sells seed in bulk. they were parsnips instead of turnips. I cooked them like I cook turnips and they were some what like turnips but milder flavored. I really laught at Kelly about his "TURNIPS". I feel for you with your daughter being sick. I know you want to lay down and kick and scream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have ever had parsnips, at least not that I can recall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never eat any.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!