Saturday, April 21, 2012

Cutting down the poplar trees

Remember four years ago when we planted a row of Lombardy Poplars to hide the unkept yard and pasture (and unfinished, unkept house) next door?  
I was so proud of our baby trees.  We knew, however, that they wouldn't be around forever.  Lombardy Poplars don't live long, and if you look closely in the foreground you can see a couple of Norway Spruce trees; they are here for the long haul.  
We moved my garden spot last year, and when I noticed how much shade the garden was getting from the poplars, I knew it was time for them to go.  We've been waiting for a calm day with no wind, and today was the day.  


Within fifteen minutes, Cliff had several of them laid in a nice, neat line atop one another.  I was surprised at how well it went.  I was afraid some of the poplars would land on my little spruce trees, but Cliff simply cut almost through each tree leaving a little "hinge", and pushed them over.  


Not one of my Norway Spruce trees was damaged.


I'm going to miss those trees and the way they hid that mess from view.  Hurry up and grow, my little Norway Spruce trees!


Cliff had his work cut out for him.  He had to move the trees one at a time without hitting a spruce tree AND without backing into my garden.  He deserves a gold star.


He dragged the trees to the ditch.  Oh, his work isn't finished, but I won't bore you with more details.


This is my row of Norway Spruce trees.  There's quite a variation in the sizes, since some died and we replaced them the next year, and a couple got mowed, which set them back.  Hopefully the size difference won'd be so great when they're bigger.  They can grow over three feet a year, once they get started.  I don't think they'll be seriously shading my garden for awhile.  
Meanwhile, maybe the next owners of the place next door will fix it up so it won't be such an eyesore. 


4 comments:

  1. I remember when you planted those trees. Didn't you hate to cut them down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those trees grew so quick!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, it was hard to cut them down, in a way. But we planned to cut them down about this time when we put them there. In another five years they would have started dying. I wanted to give the spruce trees a better opportunity to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Paula, I remember you planting those trees. Hard to believe it has been four years. Best of luck with your spruce...and a gold star to your Cliff!
    Barbara
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!