Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Suddenly enlightened

Yesterday evening my dog and I went to sit on a mound of excavated dirt in my future back yard, and I realized something about our new home location: I may not need my cabin in the woods any more, once we're moved.

Our present house sits right at the edge of a road, with neighbors in three directions. Sometimes it feels like I'm living in a fishbowl; nothing goes unobserved. This is why, three years ago, Cliff took an old shed and turned it into a "cabin" where my dog and I could retreat from the crowd, have a campfire, and meditate (Sadie is quite the meditate-er, you know). Sometimes I'll head back there to spend a night; other times I'll simply spend two or three hours. It's like a mini-vacation. It was especially refreshing to go to the cabin and unwind back when I had the stress of a job.

As I sat in the pasture last night, I realized how easy it would be to have a fire pit behind the mobile home. I love sitting at a bonfire; it's one of the big perks of having my cabin. (My dog, Sadie, is scared of fire, especially when it pops and cracks. So she's usually standing at the back side of the cabin while I'm at the front, if the fire's going. Which means I have to choose between having a fire or having my dog's companionship.)

I Googled "firepit" and found all sorts of advice on building one. Although of course we could do exactly as we did at the cabin: Place a ring of stones in a circle and start a fire. But it doesn't look as though it's complicated to go ahead and do it right.

Anyway, when we're moved, the cabin may become unnecessary. My home might have enough peace and quiet to suit me. Especially with a bonfire in the back yard for atmosphere, whenever I want it.

9 comments:

  1. I too crave having quite time away from the neighbors. I miss living on our farm where it was peaceful. I am glad you are able to find that "comfort" spot! :) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having chosen time of solitude, too, even though I dearly love being close by my hubby...there are times I just need to be in the quiet, especially where no one else is observing all our comings and goings. The fire pit in back of the mobile home sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'd be great to have a fire pit and roast marshmallows and the like. Hubby doesn't go for that idea here though. It's great you can have one.

    I have to "get away" sometimes too. I need to remember to take my camera with me, like you do. I enjoy the pics you share that you have taken on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we move your cabin down here....some times I wish I had a place to just go set....no phone or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little cabin sounds awfully nice! A good place to get away and relax a bit. We all need a place like that sometimes!

    I'm loving those morels you showed in a previous post!! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, I think it's reassuring to know your little hidey hole is there if you feel the need. Maybe after a while you'll find you DON'T need it, but for the moment, I would burn any bridges, or in this case, retreats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phooey, would NOT burn any bridges, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Diane, I wouldn't get rid of it yet. There's just something about your own little space in the world that is nice. I love people and especially my family but sometimes it's just nice even to be out in the barn all by myself with the horses or walk up in the woods where there is no one around. Can't wait to get Buddy home and just go on the new trails that we made last year and of course I'll have to pony Kipper along with us as he needs the exercise. That should be interesting the first time I take them over the new metal bridge! Buddy will go over anything but Kipper may hesitate a bit. Rode this morning but it was VERY cold and windy. Had many layers on. I'm so pleased that you like your wall hanging. It is one of a kind, I didn't go by the regular pattern as you can see by the picture I put in of the one I made for D back along. I felt that some of the fabrics in D's were too childlike for adults so picked more appropriate ones. Yes, it would be fun to have one go to every state! The princess one went to Missouri too though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep the cabin at least for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!