Friday, April 11, 2008

A poem for working parents, written five years ago

I was reading an entry by Miss Britt (foul language warning if you visit her blog, in case that bothers you) and remembered writing the following poem that was a prayer for harried parents. I was working at the time, feeling sorry for myself to be going to work on a Monday... until I thought of all the problems younger folks have, those who are accountable for their young children.


A PRAYER FOR WORKING PARENTS
© copyright November 10, 2003
Donna Wood

Thank You Lord, for Mondays: I'll return to work today
With nothing much more pressing than a couple bills to pay.
But I know there are others who can barely make ends meet,
And just one week's infirmities could put them on the street.

Bless the working mothers who will wake their kids today
To take them to the sitters, where they hope they'll be OK.
Don't forget that weekend dad, who prays his boy's all right,
Although he isn't there to read him bedtime tales at night.

Lord, be with the single mom who makes her way alone
And wakes to rock her baby when she's tired to the bone.
And don't forget the harried moms and dads who parent teens
And wonder what their children do when they're not on the scene.

Thank You Lord, that my kids now are raised, and on their own.
There were times I never thought I'd live to see them grown!
And thank You Lord, for giving me the time and space to pray
For all the working parents who must struggle through this day.

5 comments:

  1. What a great poem Donna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the poem, Donna!

    I've been really busy lately, but I'm trying to get caught up with my visiting/commenting.

    Have a great weekend!

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:36 AM

    Hi Donna,

    This is a wonderful poem! The tone of sincerity is written all over it. It is one of those poems that could be a gift to a special person in our lives who are in those exact shoes and feeling hopeless about their situation. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!