Monday, April 14, 2008

Getting Secret ready to milk

No, Secret won't be milked until she has a calf, and she'll be at least two years old for that event. However, next month I'll be calling the artificial insemination man to come and impregnate my heifer, and I need to be able to get her inside the barn and in a stanchion.


Since she's a chow hound, it wasn't hard to get her in the barn. I simply shook the feed can at her.
I haven't milked for fifteen years, so Cliff has been using my milking area for storage. I cleared the area in front of the stanchion and tried to lure Secret in... after putting a halter on her. Meat Loaf, the miniature Dexture, didn't want to come in. That's good, because I didn't want him in.
Secret had forgotten how to lead, but she didn't do too badly, all things considered. Cliff looks awfully busy, but I want a picture of me with Secret. Do you think he'll mind?
Oh Cliff? Cliff!!!! (He's repainting a trailer.)

Obviously, Secret's getting pretty fed up with all this handling.
Ummm, Secret? Look at the camera.
Much better.
Meat Loaf is just glad to have his buddy back; he bellowed the whole time I had her out of their pen.

Blue, Sassy, Libby and Tude are not impressed.

"When are you going to break her to ride?" Libby wonders.


----------------
Now playing: Kasey Chambers - A Million Tears
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

  1. Blue looks creasty. It might be dry lot time for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guy, for the first year I owned Blue I assumed he had foundered because of that cresty neck. Turns out he's just naturally that way all the time. I don't like it, I think he'd be much prettier without it.

    We don't have enough grass to founder anything yet. LOL. It's been a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:40 PM

    I LOVE the pic of the horses.
    They are so inquisitive. (not sure if i spelled that right)
    Meatloaf is a cute little buger too..

    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful little heifer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me of my mother in law.. only she doesn't have horses. But I'm sure she would love some.

    She does have cows... no milkers.

    I came over here from "hate to blog" or what ever her name is... I saw my town on your sidebar -- thought I'd leave a comment so you wouldn't wonder. =)

    I love it that you are blogging... and I bet your kids do too. I wish my mom would blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!