Monday, April 28, 2008

Because I'm rather up in the air just now... have some lyrics

The lyrics to "Piano Man"

Its nine o'clock on a Saturday
The regular crowd shuffles in.
Theres an old man sitting next to me
Makin' love to his tonic and gin.

He says, son, can you play me a memory?
I'm not really sure how it goes,
But its sad and its sweet and I knew it complete
When I wore a younger mans clothes.

La la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da

Chorus:
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight.
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody,
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Now John at the bar is a friend of mine:
He gets me my drinks for free,
And he' quick with a joke or to light up your smoke,
But theres someplace that he;d rather be.
He says, Bill, I believe this is killing me
As the smile ran away from his face
Well I'm sure that I could be a movie star
If I could get out of this place.

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da

Now Paul is a real estate novelist
Who never had time for a wife,
And hes talkin' with Davy, who's still in the Navy
And probably will be for life.

And the waitress is practicing politics,
As the businessmen slowly get stoned.
Yes, they're sharing a drink they call loneliness,
But its better than drinkin' alone.

Chorus

Its a pretty good crowd for a Saturday
And the manager gives me a smile,
'Cause he knows that its me they;ve been comin' to see
To forget about life for a while.
And the piano, it sounds like a carnival,
And the microphone smells like a beer;
And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
And say, man, what are you doin here?

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da

Chorus

2 comments:

  1. Billy's best, I do believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you'd like to hear a parody, I invite you to read Weird Al's lyrics to a song called Ode to a Superhero:

    Poor Peter Parker was pitiful
    Couldn't have been any shier
    Mary Jane still wouldn't notice him
    Even if his hair was on fire.

    But then one day he went to that science lab
    That mutated spider came down
    Oh and now Peter crawls over everyone's walls
    And he's swinging all over town

    La la la la dee daaa...

    Sling us a web,you're a spiderman
    Sling us a web tonight
    Cuz we're all in the mood for a hero now
    And there's evil-doers to fight

    Now Harry the rich kid's a friend of his
    Who horns in on Mary Jane
    But to his great surprise it seems she prefers guys
    Who can kiss upside down in the rain

    With great power comes great responsibility
    That's the catch phrase of old Uncle Ben
    If you missed it don't worry, they'll say the line
    Again and again and again

    Oh la dee da .......

    Now Norman's a billionaire scientist
    Who never had time for his son
    But then something went screwy and before you knew he was trying to kill everyone

    And he's riding around on that glider thing
    And he's throwing that weird pumpkin bomb
    Yes he's wearing that dumb Power Rangers mask
    But he's scarier without it on

    Cue the accordion, then the chorus one more time

    Sling us a web you're the spider man
    Sling us a web tonight
    'cuz you're brave and so strong and so limber now,
    But where'd you come up with those tights?

    It's a pretty sad day at the funeral
    Norman Osborne has bitten the dust
    And I heard Harry said he wants spiderman dead,
    ah but his buddy Pete he can trust

    Oh and MJ is all hot for Peter now,
    ah but Peter, he just shuts her down
    Mary Jane don't you cry, you can give it a try
    Again when the sequel comes round

    Oh, la da da la dee da.....grab a beer people and sing me home.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!