Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Things found in the woods today

As long as you take a camera along, no walk in the woods is entirely wasted. I found delightful things today. (Click on any picture to see it better.)

This snake was such a peculiar shade of green, I thought at first it was plastic. Mr. Google tells me it's a Smooth Green Snake.

Later on, I found this big black rat snake. I'd say he was at least six feet long.

Sadie wasn't sure what to make of Mr. Black Snake. He wasn't inclined to move much until I poked him with a stick; then he made a hasty retreat, rattling his imaginary rattles (yes, black snakes shake their tails exactly like a rattlesnake would, when they're disturbed). Then Sadie chased after him, keeping a cautious distance just in case.

During morel season, many people sneak onto my property from the back, along the railroad tracks. I often wonder what they think when they come upon my cabin, isolated as it is. Do you suppose they think somebody lives there?

Ah, I found what I was searching for! A gray morel.

Several feet away on the same bank, I found two more. And that's all. Not really enough to do much good. I'll probably dice them and cook them in with some scrambled eggs tomorrow morning.

Oh, that? That's a tick I found crawling up my arm, once I got back to the house. One of three I've found so far today. Excuse me, I'm going to go take a shower.

8 comments:

  1. It's been several years since I feasted on wild mushrooms but I sure wish I had a dishpan full now after reading this post! I love 'em dipped in beaten egg, floured and fried crisp on the outside, juicy and succulent on the inside. Yum!

    I'm sure you're used to checking those inconvenient places that ticks like to set down and bury their heads. Despise those things! We have 'em in abundance around here but so far I haven't seen any this season. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if I don't encounter any of the nasty blood suckers at all this year!

    Love the pics and the walk with you, Donna.

    Have a great rest of your week, and hope you're feeling much better now.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I don't like ticks or snakes at all! lol You are pretty brave to get so close to those snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have green garter snakes here that are that same bright color. Totally harmless thank goodness. I used to like to hunt for them with my son when he was little and he would put it in his overalls pocket and go scare his father!

    What great arrowheads. I haven't found any for years and years. The few places we found them are so picked over there probably aren't any left anywhere. I used to love to hunt for them.

    Yes, it seems so good to see the green grass when I ride now. Yesterday was 77* the best day we've had yet. This morning was only 47* when Dad and I went for our walk but it's supposed to warm up later. Rained all night here too.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:25 AM

    Ah don'lahk like spider&snakes :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lYdD9DdLNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. ::shiver:: spidahs and ticks and snakes, oh my! But I bet it was a lovely walk inspite of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Yikes!! I hate snakes!! With a passion!!
    My daughters go out hiking and geocaching and they came home with ticks and they took showers immediatley!!!
    I think You had a nice walk but I would have flipped out if I had seen the snakes!!
    Love and Hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, there are definitely differences between the country girl wanna-be (me) and the country girl (you). That is, I would have been FREAKING over the ticks. Not Ms. Donna, though I think it was wise to get that shower in "just in case." I had a tick on me last year and did an anxious jig for a good 10 minutes, then worried about it for a good 10 days, lol. Have you been staying out at the cabin yet this spring?
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  8. ugh. i was kind of looking for morels the other day when i got my tick attached to me. stupid ticks. i didnt even consider that i'd get one, because, well i'm in town, dammit. yeah, that didnt work. still pissed me off though. guess i wont be walking back there anymore. no morels for me this year either, i dont eat them,i just like LOOKING for them.

    found you from Lotus, just wanted to say hi and that I know what a morel is and how easy it is to get a tick looking for them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!