Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: singer/songwriters I enjoy

I have a special place in my heart for songwriters. So here are 13 of my favorites, in no particular order, along with at least one song they've written that is special to me.

Kris Kristofferson "Me And Bobby McGee", "Jesus Was A Capricorn", "Sunday Morning Comin' Down", "Loving Her Was Easier", "Help Me Make It Through The Night".

Iris Dement
"Easy's Getting Harder Every Day", "Our Town", "Walking Home"

Bob Dylan
"Blowing in the Wind"

Woody Guthrie
"This Land Is Your Land" and "this one"

Johnny Cash
"I'm Busted"

Loudon Wainwright III
"The Graveyard". He also wrote the M.A.S.H. theme song, "Suicide Is Painless".

John Prine I could listen to him forever ; he’s a genius.
"Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Any More"
"In Spite Of Ourselves"

Chuck Brodsky
"The Goodbye Kid"

Bobby Bare
"I Hate Goodbyes", "Detroit City"

Leadbelly
"In The Pines", "Pick a Bale Of Cotton" and this one he introduced to America and was later sung by the Weavers: "Good Night, Irene".

Dolly Parton
"Coat of Many Colors"

Rusty Douthit
"Show Me Your Way"

Tom T. Hall
"I Remember The Year Clayton Delany Died"

For more Thursday Thirteen entries, click HERE.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 PM

    I love Loudon Wainwright III! Especially his funny songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy are you on the ball! I still don't even know what I'm going to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. leadbelly and the weavers ... coool! i have a couple of vinyl 78's from my father of leadbelly. also, when i was 11, i saved for weeks to get the library of congress recordings of woody guthrie.

    thanks for your list
    happy tt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Simon, Sting, Natalie Merchant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices. I'll add Dar Williams, Christine Lavin, Hugh Blumenfeld...

    I did a TT on my favorite Israeli (English-language) singer-songwriters a few months ago:

    http://aroundtheisland.blogspot.com/2007/03/tt-6-13-israeli-english-language-singer.html

    Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Most of these I've heard of, but a few of them I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like coat of many colors. I don't know many of the names on the list, but I do know that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, you at me at #1 - Me and Bobby McGee. What a great song, and I was glad to hear a new generation is finding out how spectacular Kris Kristofferson was and still is.

    By the way, I would have loved to have been there for The Bald-Knobbers! No self-respecting Brit could hold a straight face on that one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Who doesn't like Dolly?

    Thanks for visiting me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I remember a lot of those. Johnny Cash singing Sunday Morning Coming Down is so very very depressing to me.

    Thanks for visiting! Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:34 AM

    Oh, good list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the song Me and Bobby McGee. Thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:22 AM

    This is a great list! Thanks for stopping by my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:50 PM

    So many wonderful songs! Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:28 AM

    I was so happy to see Dolly Parton on your list. So many forget what a wonderful songwriter she is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great list! Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and Tom T Hall are among our favorites.

    My TT is up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy tt...i do like some songs by Johnny Cash and Dolly

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!