Thursday, May 03, 2007

Rainy-day pictures

It's just a weed with raindrops. Amazing how pretty things look sometimes, closeup.

This is how "the point" looked this morning, in the pasture.

Some sort of toadstool.


These just look like ordinary scrub trees, don't they?

See the thorns on the trunk ? (Click on the picture to see them better.) Those are locust trees. They're in a spot where Cliff never goes, or he'd have gotten rid of them long ago. He hates these things with a passion. Once he sees this entry, I give them no more than a week to live.

Locust thorns have been known to pierce a tractor tire. Just ask Cliff.


As you can see, the thorns get over an inch long. If you happen to get pricked with one, it leaves a wound that's very, very sore for a long time. I've often wondered if there's some sort of poison in them.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes! I wouldn't want to mess with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat pictures! I really like the first one even though it's a weed.

    Thanks for stopping by my TT today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:56 PM

    I hate those thorns too. They go right through your shoes! And we had a few flat tires because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Ouch.. That thing looks like it would hurt ya. I've never seen a tree with thorns on it like that.
    Wow they are huge.
    Pretty neat though
    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:25 AM

    These pictures are amazing, especially the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christopher2:34 PM

    I nearly died from Septicemia from a locust thorn that went into my knuckle and chipped the bone. They had to split my finger open and scrape the bone. These trees have been popping everywhere on my farm and pose a serious hazard not only for tractor tires but for our horses as well. I have seen some thorns that are over seven inches long

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!