Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Our Colorado vacation plans

We've been making plans for months to vacation in Colorado. The original plan was that Cliff's sister Charlene and her husband Pat would go along. We'd load up our motorcycles... our Honda, their Harley... and take them on a trailer to Colorado. Once there, we'd spend a few days as free spirits, leaving the car behind.

After a recent trip to southern Kansas pulling that trailer, we realized the car didn't like pulling it that well and gas consumption was high. We discussed this back and forth and decided, finally, to throw caution to the winds and ride the bikes all the way. So that became the new plan. Charlene and Pat were quite happy with this switch.

This morning I told Cliff, "The best I can tell, we'll need to figure between $200 and $250 a day, counting motels, gasoline and eating out."

"No way!" Cliff exclaimed. "Hell, if it's going to cost that much, I'd rather forget about the whole trip and stay home!"

I was a little deflated, to say the least. Yes, it makes me nervous thinking about that long a trip on a motorcycle; but it's an adventure, and I love adventures! Still, I didn't try to change his mind.

"You'll have to break the news to Charlene and Pat," I said. "I'm not going to be the one to tell them."

"I will," he said.

An hour went by with no more mention of the trip; then he said, out of the blue, "I guess vacations always cost a lot of money; and maybe we should go this year, because we might not be able to, in another year or two; you never know what could happen."

So I guess the trip is on again.

4 comments:

  1. Im glad Cliff came to his senses!

    my hubs acts the same way....

    Tell Cliff he can eat every meal off the dollar menu at McDonalds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cliff, you never know what the future holds so grab life when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:42 PM

    Glad Cliff had some time to think through a bit further. He's right of course, none of us ever know what lies ahead so we should appreciate and enjoy what we have today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We spent less than $300 on our trip. I bet it willbe far less than you think. Enjoy, after all you are not getting younger and you aint taking it with you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!