Friday, May 04, 2007

THOUGHTS FROM MY CABIN

I keep some ratty old books at my cabin; it's been rough getting the mice to stop eating them, but so far they haven't gobbled anything more than edges of the pages.

One of my treasures is a book of poetry my mom picked up years ago at a garage sale and finally gave me, because I was always looking through it. It has no cover. It's filled with the kind of poems I love (with rhyme and meter). It was published in the 1930's.

But there's this really special thing about it: the ghost of an unhappy woman named Doris inhabits its pages. She made notes alongside some of her favorite rhymes that give me a feel for who she was/is.


I puzzle over her notes beside the poem above.

She wasn't totally thrilled with the town of Altadena, California, where it seems she lived.

As Doris grew older, she wondered just how much her children loved her.

And she realized a person can die in spirit without the body dying.

So, did she find heaven, or hell, as a bride?

She missed her mom.

She grew tired, at times, of living.


She believed, through it all, in the love of God.

2 comments:

  1. "Miss You" reminds me of how I sometimes feel about my sister. I still have the urge on Saturday afternoons to reach for the phone for our weekly call.

    Gosh I miss that.

    XXOO
    Bnana

    ReplyDelete
  2. To think she probably felt unheard as she wrote those things but years later she is listened to by you and so many others now. I think Altadena isn't too far from me. I'll have to check it out some time.

    I hope you and yours are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!