Monday, May 21, 2007

Libby blew a splint

"Blew a splint" sounds both strange and scary, doesn't it? The black arrow is pointing at the bump on Libby's leg that is, in fact, a blown splint. Libby is my two-year-old filly.

Cliff first noticed the bump, two or three months ago. She didn't seem to have any pain in the area, and it wasn't hot to the touch. When I took this picture and posted it on Homesteading Today's Equine board, almost everyone there agreed that Libby probably blew a splint.

I'd never heard of such a thing; so I googled it and found this description: "Splints are bony deposits that appear on the upper inside border of the front cannon. They seldom cause lameness, but occasionally a "high" splint may interfere with the action of the knee and cause unsoundness. Young horses stressed by play or training may "blow" a splint. If lameness persists more than a few days, a veterinarian should treat splints."

Libby never showed signs of lameness or limping. When the vet came to vaccinate and float teeth, I asked him about it; he confirmed that it was, indeed, a blown splint.

"Will that hurt her for riding purposes?" I asked.

"No, probably not."

"Will that bump go away?"

"If it's been there over a month, I imagine not."

I hate that this happened to her, but since it isn't hurting her and won't keep her from being ridden when the time comes, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure if I end up selling her, it will affect the price anyone would be willing to pay. But then, I only paid $150 for her; I've had that much enjoyment out of her already, just being around her.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:57 PM

    AWW POOR BABY. I HOPE SHE WILL BE OK, MAYBE IT WILL GO AWAY. I WONDER WHY IT DID THAT. YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING HARD ON HER. STRANGE.

    I SEE CHEIF IN THE BACK GROUND. ID HER ABOUT BROKE YET?

    TAKE CARE :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful horse, Donna. She should be good for normal riding, but no gaming or endurance. Ask the vet about wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, she's beautiful! poor thing-I'm glad it doesn't seem to be hurting her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of that so I'm learning something new. She's very pretty! My first mare looked a lot like her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guy, I think that's why the vet asked how long the knot on her leg had been there. If it had been new, wrapping would probably have helped. Alas, it had been awhile since hubby first noticed it. And who knows how long before that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal did that. We believe she was kicked to cause it. She is fine,loves to run and has no problems with it. We did wrap it the first copledays.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!