Saturday, November 05, 2011

Random: sick dog, Rolex watches, Internet friends

I was awakened at 2 A.M. this morning by Cliff saying, "What's the matter with that crazy dog, anyway?"  
It isn't unusual for Iris to have a restless night and jump in and out of the tub in the bathroom off our bedroom, so I just rolled over to go back to sleep... and then smelled dog-breath.  Peeking through barely-open eyelids, I saw Iris had her front feet on the bed next to me and had her nose about two inches from mine.
First I told her to go to bed, but then I thought better of it and got up to see what was going on.  I followed her through the dark living room and let her outside.  As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I realized there was "something" on the carpet in three places:  Obviously I had a dog with a tummy-ache.  I let Iris back inside when she scratched on the door, and moved her bed from the computer room into the bedroom, right beside my bed.  Normally she refuses to sleep at my bedside, but this time she seemed happy to be there and curled up in a tight ball.  I guess it's true, misery loves company.  I did a quick Spot-Shot scrub of the soiled places on the carpet and went back to bed, but I only dozed a little the rest of the night.  I'm not worried about my dog just yet; dogs do get bellyaches sometimes.   


We were watching Law and Order SVU this week.  We record all our shows on DVR so we can zap the commercials, but I couldn't help but notice that the main sponsor of the show now is Rolex.  I even stopped the DVR so I could watch a commercial.  
Don't these people know we're in a recession?  Who can afford thousands of dollars for a watch, in a day and age where nobody wears a watch any more?  Someone on Facebook pointed out that lawyers like to wear Rolex watches (status symbol, I guess).  But surely real-life lawyers don't waste their time watching Law and Order SVU.  I'd think they have enough criminal action in real life.  
A little searching online tells me that Rolex watches can cost anywhere from $2,500 to $10,000.  I can think of so many other good things I'd do with that much money.  


Let's think about blogging friends for awhile.  You know, about the way we get to feeling as though we know a person whose blog we've followed for years.  
I've read "My Life and Times" for quite a long time.  Patsy lives in Arkansas, is retired, and has some physical limitations that keep her mostly house-bound.  Her opinions on politics make me smile, and sometimes laugh out loud.  She often mentions her relatives, especially her sisters, a couple of whom have their own blogs.  In her blog, she calls them by name; but when they comment, they are Sister-three or The Fourth Sister, etc.  So I'm trying to figure out which sister is which all the time, because I'm beginning to feel like I know this whole family.  Some of the comments they leave on one another's blog entries are hilarious.  
They all gathered at a funeral recently and a picture was taken of the group; I left a comment for one sister that I was curious as to what names went with the faces, and she satisfied my curiosity by posting the picture with the names written on each person.  I saved it on my desktop; now when Patsy mentions a sister by name, I double-click on that picture and see who she is talking about.    
When I do things like this, Cliff says to me, "You gotta get OUT this house!"  


We won't mention his obsession with Craigslist, will we?

12 comments:

  1. I hope that Iris is feeling better. I've never read the blog that you mentioned, but my online friends are my online family and I'm always checking to see what they are doing and how they are. For some like you I've known for many years now. So I try never to miss what they post. I don't think it's a matter of getting out of the house at all but mostly it's about caring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Isis is soon better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Iris. They always act so guilty when they make a mess on the floor.

    I wear cheap $10.00 Walmart wristwatches. That way when they get smashed into the concrete and broken I don't feel bad. There's a few people at work that wear $200.00 watches and $100.00 sunglasses and I think "Are you stupid or what? Who are you trying to impress?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Iris is feeling better! I loved this post. I am just like you! I have one blog friend who never shows her face anywhere and I am insanely curious about what she looks like. Dumb, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you get out of your house plenty. At least, from your posts I get the impression you do. ;)

    Craigslist? Is that all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. tell cliff he would like us if he knew us.I know you well, I know your likes and dislikes. all the things that make you tick.the reason I have a blog is I read yours when you were on AOL and opened a blog so i could talk to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am going to get a nook by christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one lovely header picture.
    That Oliver green against the back drop the Fall colors is A-Okay.
    That is a beautiful tractor. Cliff's restoration job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tugie seems to go through tummy issues a bit more these days. That spot shot works great. We had an issue today also. Hope Iris feels better. I guess she wants to be with her Mommy when she is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every Cliff I know is a wise man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Timex and it keeps ticking. Money enough for that. A timepiece shouldn't be a status symbol. Worried about Iris. How's she doing now? I check out what my blog buddies post and all the comments because I love you guys. Really I do. You are in my thoughts and prayers most everyday. I consider you friends. Nothing wrong with being a little curious, like you are, though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope Iris is over her tummy upset.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!