Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jody lost her horns today

Ideally, a calf should be dehorned shortly after birth.  Back when I raised calves, we used dehorning paste for the job:  You shave the area around the horn (where it would be when it starts growing, because baby calves don't have horns yet) and apply the paste.  We just didn't get around to doing that with Jody.  So she will have a headache for a few hours.  


Take a good look at those horns; it's the last time you'll be seeing them.  


The vet brings the chute to the farm for a charge; the animal is completely immobilized for dehorning.  


Off come the horns, one at a time.  


This was cheap!  Another vet I called wanted to charge $100 for the farm visit.  We had Jody vaccinated and dewormed, too.  Hopefully, she will not be needing the services of a vet again.   
If you wonder why I wanted her dehorned, for one thing it makes her worth more if I sell her.  Also, a cow can hurt you with her horns, not meaning to do so:  Old Suzy, my first milk cow, once swung her head at flies while I was petting her and gave me a black eye.  
Besides, they're prettier without horns.   

4 comments:

  1. I learn something new each day. Love the photos. Shows the details. Very interesting about being dehorned. I thought it was strictly because they could hurt you. But now that you mention it, she will look prettier. Seems the vets fees were reasonable too. I take one of my cats in and spend $100 or more. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have learned a new thing. Here all along I thought it was the males that had the horns and not the females. Glad you got her done though so you don't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that is as far as you went with the photos. I was beginning to cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie7:38 PM

    Dr Peddicord used to take care of my best dog. He even came to my place when it was time for her to go to sleep so she wouldn't be scared in his office. He took care of my heifers too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!