Thursday, October 09, 2008

Have a piece of apple pie...

Cliff's sister cooked dinner for all of us today (meat loaf and mashed potatoes), so I baked an apple pie for our dessert. Help yourself: there are four pieces left (I had Rena take another piece for her lunch at work tonight).

Time was when I turned these babies out like an assembly line every year, come apple season. My favorite dessert of all is warm apple pie with ice cream, and Cliff loves it too. With age and heart issues and weight problems, we can't have pies around very often. When I do bake one, I've changed the serving size. I used to cut a pie into six pieces; that's how my mother always did it. That's a big piece of pie, let me tell you. These days, one pie makes eight pieces.

Now, settle back with your pie and coffee, and I'll tell you about my ghost. Yep, we seem to have a ghost.

We started hearing a noise from time to time that sounded like someone at a distance honking a horn; that's what we thought it was. Sadie would bark and go look out a window, trying to find the source of the sound.

After awhile, I figured out the noise was coming from the kitchen, and I think I now have it nailed down: it's in my freezer. I have a ghost in my freezer!

I googled the words "refrigerator makes strange noise", and found some links that suggest the noise could be coming from a fan in the freezer part of the fridge.

I liked it better when it was a ghost. Refrigerators cost too much money.

At least Sadie's used to the sound now, and doesn't even raise her head when it honks.

8 comments:

  1. LOL a haunted 'frig? Just in time for Halloween :-)

    Pie looks pretty good!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I just popped over from Kelly's Chicken Chronicles. Loved the ghost story. -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm pie...
    I don't like when any of my appliances cost me money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:10 PM

    oh my....that IS my favorite desert too! my mouth is watering just looking at it! ghosts are much cheaper no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. pie looks good! glad you figured out who your ghost was! our TV (hasn't done it in a bit) used to turn itself on by itself a lot; asked the cable guy who said he never heard anything like that before; I thought we must have had same signal as someone else, who knows? didn't think it was a ghost, but did want to know what it was; so glad you figured yours out :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pie looks sooooo good. Wish I could sit down and have a piece with you. I'm just home from work and my stomach is growling anyway.
    'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I sell a lot of foreclosed houses these days and one of my most recent ones, a lovely stone house on Blue Ridge, had a note in it for me from the former owners, telling me that there are 2 ghosts in the house, even identifying them. I guess I should tell the next owners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pie does look good......
    My last "ghost" ended up being a flying squirrel that had gotten in through the chimney.
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!