Monday, October 27, 2008

Hamburger Stew

Let's face it, with temperatures hovering near the freezing point, it's time for hearty soups and stews. A local small-town grocery had ground beef for $1.69 a pound; I used a pound-and-a-half of it for hamburger stew. I've blogged about this before, so I won't go into great detail. But it always amazes me how many meals can come from a small amount of ground beef when you use it for stew.

Any form of vegetable stew gives me an opportunity to find veggies in the freezer that need to be used; I just toss them in the mix, and nobody's the wiser. At some time in the past, I thought I had a hankering for Lima beans. After serving some of them with a meal, I realized I wasn't such a big fan of Lima beans and the half-empty bag lay languishing in the freezer. Yesterday, though, they made a great addition to my hamburger stew.



The neighbor who always gives us fish to eat was getting his garden ready for the freeze that's forecast, so Cliff went over there and picked some tomatoes, both green ones and ripe ones. I skinned some of those ripe tomatoes and added them to the stew. Yum! (Cliff came back with more fish, too.)

My daughter's family ate stew with us Saturday. Cliff and I had stew that evening. I fixed something different yesterday at lunch, but we had stew for supper. And there's still a couple of servings left. No, we're not tired of it yet.

Because there's also corn bread left, I asked Cliff what he thought about my getting some cooked beans out of the deep freeze for today. He thought that was a grand idea, until I remembered the bacon I bought at the local grocer's when I got the ground beef... it was "buy one, get one free". And I saw those ripe tomatoes on the table.


So the beans went back into the freezer... they hadn't started to thaw... and so did the corn bread.

We're having BLT's today! And who knows, we might have fried green tomatoes tomorrow.

By the way, I'm learning to Twitter. Haaaaaaa!

5 comments:

  1. That stew does sound good right now. I may have to do that this coming weekend. I'll be home now and will be cooking something which I always eat all week long. I really like having leftovers to heat up when I get home from work.
    BLT's are always good too. It won't be much longer and those fresh tomatoes will be gone. I saw a few snow flakes falling on my way into work this morning.
    'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, we'll be eating a lot of soups and stews around here the next few months. I paid $5 for 1.5 lb of hamburger yesterday. I think it was $5.22 or something like that. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE stews, soups, & chili....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made stew over the weekend, enough to have dinner on for the rest of the week! I love a good stew with some cornbread mixed in with it and a big blob of real butter on top! I like chili on a cold day too.

    I haven't fried green tomatoes in a few years! My Grandmother and my Aunt Jean used to make them all the time when they were alive-they'd serve them with a side dish of chopped cucumbers and onions mixed with buttermilk and the rest of the flour mix from the fried green tomatoes.

    Thanks for the post, brings back some good family memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn bread!! That is what I am hungry for. Stew sounds good too. Thanks, now I know what is for dinner tomorrow.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!