Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oh boy

Ever since I blogged about those cast iron skillets and mentioned corn bread, I've been obsessing about (you guessed it) corn bread cooked in a cast iron skillet.

Well, in this house, corn bread is made to go with one of two things: potato soup or pinto beans. This time I've opted for beans. And by the way, here in Missouri, we never just "cook some beans". Oh no, we have ourselves "a big ole pot of beans" cooked with a ham hock or two. Or a ham bone, if we've recently indulged in a ham. Which we haven't lately.

Even though it's just Cliff and me, I can get by with cooking a large amount of beans because I have a deep freeze, and beans freeze very well. I love having something in the freezer that I can heat up in the microwave after a day of riding the motorcycle with Cliff.

So I've cooked my "big ole pot of beans", and we'll be having that with some delicious home-made corn bread tomorrow. If it all turns out well, I'll take pictures.

Because I'm nice like that.

10 comments:

  1. Lol. Cornbread with potato soup. Now that's a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange you should mention pinto beans. I just bought some and keep forgetting to put them in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,
    I fixed some mixed beans and cornbread this week too. I put 1 pound bag of pinto beans, and 1 pound bag of great northern beans..So were absolutely delcious. We have really enjoyed them.
    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Let's not forget a certain daughter who will be all alone this weekend. All alone with no food. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know, beans and corn bread is one of my favorite meals.
    Freezing is a good idea b/c on the 3rd night I'm usually ready to eat something else. lol
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pinto beans and usually only have them with the ham bone left over from Christmas or Easter. I used to cook them often, but now only when I know company will be coming...I never thought to freeze it. Now maybe I'll do just that. 'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not that in to beans but the cornbread sure does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cooking in cast iron -- bread and cornbread. I took some pix of bread that I baked in a cast iron skillet but they were not usable. Haven't had a good piece if cornbread in 2 years cause we're on a diet. Miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a "big ole pot of beans" on right now". It's a bit chilly and rainy here today, and I knew it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WILL YOU PLEASE SEND SOME OF THOSE PINTO BEANS THIS WAY??? ;-)
    THEY WER DANNY'S FAVORITE TOO...BUT UNLIKE ME...HE STILL WANTED MY HOMEMADE BISCUITS WITH THEM BLESS HIS HEART...YOU KNOW MOSIE..SOMETIMES IT IS THE SMALLEST OF THINGS THAT MAKE YOU REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES...THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME HAVE ANOTHER MEMORY...NOW PLEASE, FOR ME...GO HUG CLIFF AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN...BUT DON'T HURT HIM! :-)
    GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND,
    LOVE,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!