Tuesday, October 14, 2008

cast iron skillets

We have a neighbor who retired not long ago, and he's taken up fishing as a hobby. He heads often to Truman Lake with his boat, and on his return he shows up at our door with a generous amount of catfish, dressed and ready to fry. I roll it in Louisiana Fish Fry coating (the New Orleans style is our favorite), and we pig out. Yum.

Notice the black cast iron skillet on the right. That's one I inherited from Cliff's youngest sister when she was down-sizing her household goods. She got it from my mother-in-law, and who knows how long she'd had it. I have a smaller one that my mom gave me when I got my first apartment. I'm sure I stirred gravy in that skillet when I was barely tall enough to see over its edge. I used to have a huge skillet my mother-in-law gave me, many years ago. Once my kids grew up and left home, I seldom used it; so I gave it to my daughter, who has strict instructions to keep it in the family.

Did you know cast iron skillets really do contribute iron to your diet? And that if you keep them properly seasoned, they're almost as non-stick as Teflon? True, you can't toss them in a dishwasher, or use scouring powder on their insides... but I love them. And I love this quote from the esteemed Doctor Hannibal Lector:

"Look into the skillet, Clarice. Lean over it and look down. If this were your mother's skillet, and it may well be, it would hold among its molecules the vibrations of all the conversations ever held in its presence. All the exchanges, the petty irritations, the deadly revelations, the flat announcements of disaster, the grunts and poetry of love.

Sit down at the table, Clarice. Look into the skillet. If it is well cured, it's a black pool, isn't it? It's like looking down a well. Your detailed reflection is not in the bottom, but you loom there, don't you? The light behind you, there you are in blackface, with a corona like your hair on fire.

We are all elaborations of carbon, Clarice. You and the skillet and Daddy dead in the ground, cold as the skillet......."


It's history, I tell you. When I use my Wagner cast iron skillets, I'm holding history in my hands.

No corn bread tastes as good as that made in a cast iron skillet; the crispy, dark-brown crust on the bottom...

Well, now I'm wishing I had some corn bread for breakfast! I'm going to go get in the hot tub before I drool all over my keyboard.

17 comments:

  1. We use the cast iron when we are camping alot. I've given all but one small one to my children too.
    Enjoy your hot tub! I know you will. 'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. that fish sure looks good.
    i always loved a cast iron skillet, wish i had a med sz one now...but i can't get out to flea markets to try & find one.
    have a good week.
    huggies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my Mom having a favorite cast iron skillet when I was growing up... and I'm sure she still has it, probably in storage. She (my Mom) cares for my Grandmother and the last time I was there to visit she made breakfast, which included bacon and eggs and biscuits, and gravy... made in my Grandmothers iron skillet that is older than me, older than my Mother, and possibly older than my Grandmother! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slightly concerned you quoted Hannible Lector.. yet..

    I freaking love cast iron skillets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool post! I love my cast iron skillets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That catfish looks way way way too good for your health, your neighbor must move to michigan!...:)
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:18 AM

    I would part with alot of things...but my cast iron skillets are not one of them LOL...most of mine came from family...my mother in law gave me one...as did my sister and my Mom...I have one tho that came from hubby's Aunt..it belonged to her husband's family before...just the right size for most things...not too big..nor to small...great posting here Donna...but the catfish you can keep...LOL...not a fish lover here...now hubby??? that is another story to tell...LOL...God Bless...hugs from ora in KY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that fish looks delicious frying in that iron skillet! I can almost smell it. My MIL had a huge iron skillet. To my knowledge my FIL does not use it today. My MIL passed 7 years ago. I hope one day to inherit that fine piece of heritage. I have a regular sized one, but the huge ones are really the best arent they? Happy eating! :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, I hadn't realized that skillets contributed iron to your body. Glad they do b/c I'm always low on it. We are taking the iron skillet to the big south fork this week on our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some of my parents cast iron skillets. Things certainly do taste better in them!! That fish sure does make me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't trade my well seasoned cast iron skillets for the most expensive cookware out there. All of mine came to me from my family and I cherish the tradition that comes with them. Besides, they're great cookware!

    Only thing is, with my arthritic wrists they're so heavy, especially when you have food in them, that they're hard for me to move around and pour food from.

    I've given Jessica a few of my cast iron skillets, including a 9-inch skillet and a 6-inch skillet that she loves to use for Jiffy Mix cornbread. It's the perfect size for Jiffy Mix. I don't care for sweet cornbread and prefer to make my own buttermilk cornbread from scratch.

    I also gave Jessica strict instructions to keep the cast iron skillets I gave her in the family and never sell them, no matter what anybody offers her for them. In my opinion, they're priceless.

    I love the crisp brown crust on cornbread made in a cast iron skillet, and always seem to make the best cornbread when I'm going to use it for dressing. It almost never turns out that crisp when I'm going to eat it with beans or soup.

    I just fried catfish in my deep cast iron chicken fryer Sunday night, and boy, was it good!

    Have a great Tuesday, Donna. :o)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my cast iron skillets (or black iron as Thomas calls them), and you are so right about corn bread not tasting right if not baked in one. It fries better chicken, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I got married someone gave me three cast iron skillets in different sizes. That largest one full of food is hard on the wrist but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom, I moved my blog over here too.

    http://woodmotorsports.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. we have one very similar to the one in your picture; my husband has had it for ages, not sure where he got it from; all I know is I let him use it; I'm afraid to touch it; he takes really good care of it

    nice you have a neighbor who shares his catch with you

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought mine to make pineapple upside-down cakes, but use them for many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew that they give you more iron if you use them. My family has had them for as long as I can recall. I don't have one though. My mother didn't use them.
    That fish sure looks YUMMY!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!