Tuesday, September 17, 2024

My husband was right

Blue had been suffering since Saturday morning.  We were told to get to the veterinary surgeon early this morning so the poor guy could get his amputation.  

I don't understand why, since we talked to them yesterday and were told it would happen today, but suddenly we were told it would have to be tomorrow.  

That cat has suffered for days, and enough is enough.  If I had listened to Cliff, we would have put him out of his misery quickly; it's my fault we went on, so I'm responsible for those four days of suffering.

I have always tried to be honest with the people who read my blog, and I'm not going to stop now.  We do have enough of a rainy day fund to have gone to any vet around and gotten his surgery done by Monday, for sure, even at $2,000.  Cliff would have done it, but not happily.  I thought if I could get it done cheaper, it would be a good compromise so Cliff would feel better about it.  

I have a dear friend in Virginia who begged me to let her pay for Blue's surgery; I'm sure she would have meant it as a gift for me, but Cliff wouldn't have understood that, and it would have made him feel less than a man.  So I'm sorry, Joanna.  But one reason we've been married for 58 years is that we know one another well enough to try and keep the peace.  And I love my husband much more than all the pets I've ever had put together.  

So we put my Blue cat out of his misery.  I only wish we had done it sooner.  As much as I'd love to find a little kitten and try again, I don't think I'll have another cat, because I don't want a house cat and neither does Cliff.  I'm not a good enough housekeeper to keep up with the hair, and another inside/outside cat would just be fair game for predators.  I'm too old to watch pets die before their time.  

I'm glad I have my dog Gabe though.  He always knows when something is going on with me and does his best to stay near me when I'm sad.  

I don't expect everybody to agree with what we've done, but please be kind.  All of us are doing the best we can.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:23 AM

    You did the right thing. Bless you for trying. Love, Joanna ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the ultimate responsibility we, as pet lovers, may have to face. To end suffering. I am very sorry you had to help Blue across the Rainbow Bridge. But it needed to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We and Mr. Gabe understand and send hugs. The kitty's heart knows you wanted to do the right thing. You've been kind. Have some coffee with a touch of brandy, eh? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:51 AM

    I am so sorry to hear this Donna. You were a very good owner to Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bettina11:56 AM

    I wouldn't want my pets... current or long ago.. to suffer. We do what's best no matter the heart ache. It's tough! Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:03 PM

    I'm so sorry, Donna. I know you will miss him terribly. It was the right thing, though. Sending hugs. Rebecca in SW MO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that you made a wise decision. Not an easy one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:14 PM

    Oh Donna, I'm so very sorry. I know your heart is heavy today. You gave him a good life and Blue knew you loved him dearly. I am praying for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:15 PM

    This is heartbreaking. I know it hurts but you did your best for him. We love our pets so much. May the Lord bless and keep you. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:46 PM

    You’ve done the very best you could. Don’t be hard on yourself. Blue was loved greatly. And sometimes in life, the best we can do may not seem like enough… but it’s all we can do. It’s still hurts our hearts … just remember, you did the best you could. Give yourself a gift of grace like you would if it were one of us. Blue was blessed to have you all, and may your memories of Blue be nothing but a blessing. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I think you made the best decision for you. I agree it would have been better sooner. Less suffering. I grew up on a farm. I don’t think of animals as humans. Today I’m weird. You helped Blue have the best life you could give. Hold your head up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry but you did the right thing for Blue in putting him out of his suffering. My heart is heavy though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is upsetting, but you did the right and logical thing. Poor Blue is no longer suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right thing would have been to do it when it first happened. I will always think back and realize that while I was intended to save him, it didn't work out. He was on a med that kept him from hurting so bad, but he was so unhappy. It was my fault in a way, even though I was intending to help him.

      Delete
  14. Anonymous6:21 PM

    No one can fault you for what you've done, what you tried to do, and how you feel about it. I am fairly sure that Thomas and I would have done the same thing. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:54 AM

    Donna, I am sorry you had to let Blue go, and I understand how you feel responsible. I can’t tell you how to feel, but I can honestly tell you for much of the same reasoning, I would likely have done the same thing. Rest pain free Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did the best you could and nobody can fault you for that. My condolences on the loss of Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a sad decision to make, but I think that you were right. I'm sorry about Blue. We're facing a situation here that might require us to take action. Gaza has not returned again, but we're kind of worried about her and where she's at. She may have contracted rabies.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!