Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Someone asked me about T-bills

I learned something on Facebook a year or so ago: I found out there was something called T-bills.  Two of my friends were discussing how small an interest you get on a savings account, and one mentioned T-bills.  I had no idea what they were talking about, so I searched with Google and "sort of" figured out what it was.  The way I see it, you loan some money to the government to use for three months, six months, nine months, or a year.  At the time I found out about T-bills, the interest was well over 5%, which is, in a way, better than what CD's were doing.  I've never been an investor except when I had a 401K at Kohls DC, but when I found out I could get 5% on an amount as low as $100 without going through a bank or investment advisor, I was sort of curious about it.  Wouldn't it be fun to invest $100 dollars to see how things worked out?  Even if I did something crazy and lost it, it wouldn't kill me, and if everything worked like it should, I'd get it back in three months with interest.

So I made an account at Treasurydirect.gov. and invested 100 bucks for three months, just to make sure I could do it.  The money came directly out of our bank on whatever day I scheduled it for.  I did tell Cliff what I was doing.  He wasn't very happy about it, but I told him I just wanted to see how it worked.  Three months later, my money was back in the bank with a tiny bit of interest.  Five and-a-half interest on a hundred dollars for three months obviously won't make you or break you, but I that's the way I learned how this all works.  

Since then I've put larger amounts in and left them longer.  We are living on Social Security, so I try to space the T-bills so we will get back the money when we need it most, like for auto insurance, or propane in the winter.  When a little extra cash is left at the end of the month, I put it in a savings account.   When there's enough in savings to buy a $500 T-bill, I get one.  I'm not trying to get rich; I'm just trying to get some extra money coming in when we most need it. 

You can't get your money back from T-bills until the time is up and it comes back into your bank account unless you go through an advisor to do it for you. He will try to sell your T-bill to somebody else and give you your money back without some of the interest your money earned.   

Here's something you should know if you want to play around with T-bills like I do.  When CDs are up, T-bills are often down, and visa versa; CDs have compound interest, unlike T-bills; but then, you can't get a CD for $100, either.

I don't know if anybody else cares about this, but a friend wanted to know.  It isn't the first time I've written a blog entry for just one person.  

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Wow. I had no idea. I’ve heard of t bills but now I know more. You are so smart to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T-bill, treasury bill? I had 0 coupon bonds for my daughters' schooling. I held on to them for nearly 18 years (4 sets of them for each girl); when they matured they were worth $10,000 which went a long way to paying for college. I think it's a similar concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're blog was for more than one person! My Dad was a doctor, and his doc associate played with T-bills. My Dad was impressed. That was back in the '60s. I too will retire with just Social Security and was thinking about laddering CDs, but this is good too. I think some banks or credit unions will let you get a CD these days with just $100. I'll look into it! Thanks, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:27 AM

    That’s very interesting to read. It might be worth trying for persons like us who live on a fixed income. Thanks for the information. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bettina11:43 AM

    Keep in mind interest rates will be dropping... the feds will be announcing things shortly.. but saving is good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always check to see what the interest rate is on that day.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:05 PM

    I’d say that’s a brilliant method of earning a little extra income!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of them but never bought any. I prefer just putting my money in a Money Market Account through my brokerage which gives me 5.25% interest currently and there is no restrictions on how long I have to keep it in there so I can always pull it out if necessary. But, I think one has to have an investment account with them in order to take advantage, which I do, so it isn't open to just anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'll have to learn how that works. I'm pretty sure you have to have a big load of money in it though, so I doubt it would work for me. I mean it when I say I'm "playing" with T-bills. It's fun, and I don't have to be rich to do it.

      Delete
  8. Good information to have. Reminds me of savings bonds we bought in grammar school. Bought my first car with mine. The car was $400, so it shows you that I didn't buy that many. I just hung onto them and let the interest keep going. I was 17 when I made that big purchase! When we retired and sold the park we paid off everything, then took the remainder to the bank here and established our checking and savings and a money market account. This is all HeWho's part of our division of chores. I think it might be fun for me to play a little, too. Not that I consider our money to be totally earned by the man, I worked as hard as he did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anybody who wants to buy saving bonds now can go to the same webpage as the one where you buy the T-bills: treasurydirect.com

      Delete

I love comments!