Thursday, September 05, 2024

A story from my daughter: Feeding the Cats

We had an unbelievable cold snap last winter that happened during a week that Kevin and I were both home with Covid.  That caused us to spend a lot of time staring out the windows and doors around here out of boredom.  We noticed a small tortoise shell cat on our back porch in a makeshift dog house that's been out there for years.  I told Kevin to please grab some cheap cat food the next time he's at the store. I can't stand to see a cat hungry and cold. We decided we should name her if we were going to feed her, so Kevin named her Daphne.  Since then, she appears twice a day for feedings, usually with one of her adolescent children that are wilder than her.


Kevin's knees are really bad, as are the rest of his joints.  Walking hurts and is difficult and stairs are worse.  Each evening, Daphne is sitting on the side porch near the door, yeowling to make sure he is very aware that she is hungry.  He has to walk up the steps of the side porch and into the house, get cat food, then down the same steps and to the back of the house, where we feed them.  Then he returns and climbs the steps again.  

A coworker and I were brainstorming and she said, "You meal prep for your lunches every week, meal prep for Daphne!"  I liked the idea, so I packed several baggies with servings of cat food to keep in his car.  This got annoying REALLY fast, having to refill those baggies.  I decided to pursue other experiments to find a more suitable solution.

We were in WalMart together and I said, "Let's find a container that locks closed," and settled on a rubbermaid type tote with a locking handle.  We were pretty sure that nothing would be able to get into it.  The next morning, Kevin went out to feed them and the lid was in the window well and half the food was gone."  Have I mentioned how much I despise racoons?

Saturday, Kevin finished the last few pork rinds from the bottom of a rather large container.  I said, "Hey, that's a screw top!  Racoons can't open THAT!" and washed it out., filled it with cat food, and put it out there.  I was pretty smug, this time.  I've camped a lot and I was sure they wouldn't be able to open that jar.  The next morning, I went out to feed the cats.  The cat food was gone.  GONE.  The jar and all.


It was still dark out, so I returned for a flashlight in case it was down in the window well or something, but it was nowhere.  I probably stood out there with my mouth hanging open for 2 minutes before I gave up and came back inside.  A few hours later, I looked out the window and saw a splash of yellow in the brush pile behind the neighbor's shed. I asked Kevin if the lid to the pork rind container was yellow and he confirmed my suspicion.  Those suckers hauled that 5 pound (or more) container over 40' across our yard.  All I could picture was a group of them, all lined up and rolling it along like in a log-rolling contest. 

This weekend, I'll be out there trying the next thing.  All for a stupid feral cat that isn't even mine.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:26 AM

    Oh man. I hope they can figure out something that will work. Raccoons are stronger and cleverer than you'd think. Rebecca in SW MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. We fed our outdoor pets on the farm out of an old fashioned round metal garbage can with a snug fitting metal lid. The raccoons could get up on top but couldn't lift the handle with their body weight on top. We just put the bag of food inside it with a plastic cup to scoop it out into the nearby bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty W9:17 AM

    All God's critters, feel them and they will come. It's lots of work but rewarding in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:33 AM

    Our daughter, her family and friends were camping at the lake. They heard something outside and witnessed a big raccoon holding the cooler lid open with one “hand” and passing food out of the cooler to his friends with the other! She said she wished she had thought about videoing it!! Pat/Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:53 AM

    Raccoons carried off my bird suet—feeder and all! I trapped that sucker and Logan did him in for me. I saw him on the back porch one night. It was all my Sister Helen’s fault. She saved bread for months for my chickens and kept it in her freezer. She brought it to me. It was on my table on the porch. Guess that got him coming looking for a midnight snack.

    Galla Creek I can’t sign in on your site anymore. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:25 AM

      I’m sorry about that, but I don’t know what to do about it.

      Delete
  6. Those opposable thumbs are what make raccoons a menace! I once went camping and found that the raccoons there were experts in unlocking the latches on coleman coolers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's crazy! Since finding a raccoon in my shed, I'm scared of them but I do have to give them points for ingenuity and persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would the cat come to the back door if you fed it there so Kevin wouldn't have to go up and down the steps? If it's hungry enough surely it would come closer to the house. Of course, that would also attract raccoons. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:28 PM

      The back porch is her preferred place to be. However, it's also the path my dog must take to go outside, and she would quite happily make all our cat troubles go away. -Rachel

      Delete
  9. Raccoons are both smart and motivated when it comes to food. I agree with CountryDew that if the cat wants food she can be trained to visit a place of your convenience. Just move the bowl a little bit every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems the cats aren't so stupid and they talk to the raccoons. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!