Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Project 2,996

In past years I have participated in Project 2,996 by choosing (or being given) the name of someone who died in the disaster that happened on September 11, 2001.  The idea was to make folks aware that these were individuals who died, not just a nameless, faceless crowd.  My job was to use Google to find out something about some of the people who died on September 11, 2001, as a result of the tragedy at the World Trade Center.  I found some information about all of them, often from their obituaries.  Every once in awhile, especially around September 11, someone will comment that they knew that person, and will thank me for keeping that name alive. 
I'm linking to the entries I did about each of those people in different years.  The project seems to be no longer active, but I'm glad I was part of it.


Thelma Cuccinello

Christopher Sullivan

Veronique Bowers

Derek James Statkevicus 

Linda C. Lee

All those entries get hits throughout the year, but on September 11, they get more.  People who were friends of these people leave a comment, thanking me for doing this.  Project 2,996 seems to be operating mainly on Pinterest this year, and I have no desire to add another time-wasting site to my online life.  So what you see here is my only way of participating. 

I updated this page I originally did in 2012, rather than try and do it completely over.  Project 2996 has idled to a halt, I believe, as well it should.  It's no use trying to keep anger alive after so much time has passed.  This is a reminder to live each moment to the fullest: one morning these people got up, went to work or to the airport expecting an ordinary day, and never came home. 

7 comments:

  1. Monica7:31 AM

    Amen 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gesture. One of my first patients right out of nursing school was a middle-aged woman who'd been in the dust at Ground Zero as an early volunteer. Even that early, she was dying of cancer. So sad. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading an article in the newspaper this morning about the reading of the names at Ground Zero. Many of the readers weren't even alive when the event happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This past weekend, I watched a CBS 60 Minutes episode on the firefighters that lived and died that day and the children that were left behind. I was caught by surprise how raw the emotions were inside me after 23 years. It doesn't take much and I'm right back there on that day wondering if we were at war and with who.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember my emotions that day and can't imagine how the people feel who lost a loved one. What an excellent project! With that many deaths, individuals and their stories can get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:14 PM

    A beautiful way to remember them. Rebecca in SW MO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these people certainly ought to be remembered. I also think that America would do well to consider what brought our nation to that point, and to learn from our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!