Sunday, September 01, 2024

This is a boring entry. Don't waste your time.

So how can I do a blog entry if all I've done is read all week?

We're having cooler weather but no significant rain.  I'm letting the weeds grow in the garden now.  What's the use of wasting my time?  Bah humbug  

For the first time in a long time, I decided to read Harlan Coben's latest Myron Bolitar book, Think Twice.  About halfway through the book I remembered why I have a problem with his books:  He has so many people in his stories, I can't remember who is who.  I did finish it though.  Thank goodness when I'm reading on the iPad and see a name I've forgotten, I can hold my finger on the name and it will show me where the person was in the previous part of the story, so I usually can connect the name with the person.   

This afternoon found me reading The Last Thing He Told Me, which is holding my interest so well, I hate to put it down.

I went to both churches this morning and after heating up leftovers for dinner and reading for a couple hours, I made some oatmeal cookies so I wouldn't be ashamed of myself for doing nothing.  Cliff is still trying to lose a little more weight, but he thinks he can get by eating just one cookie a day as long as I put them in the cabinet so he isn't looking at them all the time.  Next-door grandson will eat one every time he comes over.

Cliff is having dizzy spells again.  Disappointing, considering he hadn't had that problem for several weeks.  At our ages we never know what kind of curse is going to happen to us next. 

Grandmother's Oatmeal Cookies

This is the best Oatmeal Cookie I have ever tasted and is my family's favorite. This is a recipe that I have had for years that a friend of mine gave me.

Prep Time:
 
20 mins
Cook Time:
 
12-13 mins
Additional Time:
 
1 hr 28 mins
Total Time:
 
2 hrs
Servings:
 
48
Yield:
 
4 dozen
Ingredients
  • 3 eggs

  • 1 cup raisins

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 cup butter flavored shortening

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 2 cups quick cooking oats

  • ½ cup chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. Beat eggs, and stir in raisins and vanilla. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

  3. Cream together shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in raisins and eggs, then stir in oats and walnuts. Roll dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

  4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are golden. Cool on wire racks.

I do believe I'll take my dog and go to bed.  Good night, fearless readers. 

6 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal cookies, minus the raisins. There will be no squishy warm raisins in my mouth! The brown sugar and nuts are a YES. Yummy. I had issues with the Bolitar book too; why did he have to end it that way? It was depressing although beautiful too. Poor Myron. The latest CJ Box I read was even worse; I'm still frustrated about the story. Box has no issue killing off main characters either which I guess (?) is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care much for the ending either.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:23 AM

    Donna, you are NOT boring. I love everything you have to say. Count me interested💙

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. I usually just mow the weeds in my garden this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:46 AM

    Donna. Won’t let me sign in and comment so I show up as a nobody. It suits me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!