Tuesday, August 27, 2024

A free way to get rid of ads on Youtube

A while back, I somehow found out there is a browser that lets you keep all your browsing private:  DuckDuckGo.  I tried it for awhile and it does work well for that; I no longer saw ads on Facebook that are based on what I had just looked at on the Internet.  

My only problem, which some would consider minor, is that when using DuckDuckGo, if I want to answer someone's comment on my blog, I can't sign in to my Google account.  I can sign into my blog to post a new entry, but in the comment section I can only be anonymous; it won't let me sign in to Google.  Of course I could just do as others do:  I could say what I had to say and then tell them "this is Donna, and this is my blog".  But I'd rather not.  

On another note, I sure do wish that those who have to post as anonymous would leave their name in the comment so I'd know who was visiting me.  But I digress.

One feature of DuckDuckGo I really like is that it lets me watch Youtube without the commercials.  That is a great feature, so I use Google most of the time but use DuckDuckGo for Youtube.  I know I'm doing it backwards, but it seems as though once I get on Chrome, I forget all about the other browser.  

I'm still intend to try and just use Chrome for my blog only.  Wish me luck, because my brain is getting tired in my old age.

4 comments:

  1. I'm maybe the odd one out but I think I would prefer seeing ads that interest me on Facebook than just random ads for things I don't use, want or desire. I once had an app that allowed me to read Facebook entirely without ads, but like you, no more than I am on the app, it is just easier to scroll past an ad than remember and open it in the special app.

    I mostly watch YouTube on my television these days, with a much bigger screen so I'm not sure I can avoid the ads unless DuckDuckGo has an app that I can upload onto my television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you’d have to physically connect it to your computer, and I think you said your computer is in another room. When Cliff has something on a tractor he can’t fix, he goes to youtube to find out what to do and he HATES the ads. He also doesn’t like that people put music on that kind of video. Besides, I doubt you use Youtube enough to worry about it. Honestly, I don't. But there are some things I'd watch that I normally don't now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now have to go over to Chrome to even be able to comment on a couple blogs; I've forgotten if they were WP or Blogger ones. I usually use Edge. I don't mind commercials as long as I can click through them quickly. P.S. I had to sign in here but it's no big deal. I didn't use. to.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!