Monday, August 12, 2024

Rain

 For two days I googled our weather online and had a bit of hope for my garden.  Sunday night was supposed to have an 84% chance for rain.  I went to bed last night hearing distant thunder in the north and woke up at 4 A.M. hearing it from the south.  I looked out and the sidewalks weren't even wet.  *sigh*

However, I did hear raindrops gently coming down an hour later; at 6 o'clock, which is the time I let Gabe get up and eat, the rain stopped.  That's a good thing because Gabe hates to do his business in the rain.  There was just enough time for that, and then the gentle rain began again.  I saw online that the clouds were headed down I-70 to St. Louis and thought, "If only we get half an inch, it would help so much."

Yesterday I planted several things for a fall garden, so I had tilled the "concrete" into dry dust.  With no moisture at all, I made rows with my hoe, then took the hose and put water in the dirt of the rows so seeds would have something to start them growing.  That was fortunate, because after being tilled, that dirt soaked every drop of rain as far down as possible.  The rain is over now, and the rain gauge has in it exactly six inches of precious water.  The are more chances for rain this week, but not as likely to actually happen. 

A recent picture of my two cats, Mama Kitty and Blue, looking over the pasture behind the house.

Some of you might enjoy seeing 14-year-old Mama Kitty teaching her last litter of kittens to hunt back in 2012.  If so, you'll find it HERE(warning:  a young bunny rabbit died that day.  You have been warned.)


8 comments:

  1. After four years of drought, we have had adequate moisture all year long thus far. It has been a very pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Cool in Columbia and a nice rain falling for over a hour at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:49 PM

    We got about 3 tenths overnight. I'm glad I went ahead and watered last night after all. The rain systems just split in half and went around us. Rebecca in SW MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:34 PM

    Last night I slept about 5 and1/2 hours. I woke at 4 and finally just got up. I got a new watch too. It monitors my sleep. REM sleep hour and half. Core three and half hours. 48 minutes deep sleep! Maybe I’ll sleep better tonight. I doubt it though. Fleta’s sleep is worse than mine. I really envy those people who can sleep late! I slept an hour today at noon. Don’t you get really tired during the day?

    We got a little rain. Thankful for it. Some around me got none. Galla Creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 9 minutes deep, 1 hour and 30 minutes light. Awake 1 hour 15 minutes. It is usually about the same every night.

      Delete
  5. We need rain but it's not looking promising. Although we grow things in the west, the eastern (dry) part of my state is highly agricultural and the lack of rain or winter snowpack is hurting their livelihood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six inches of rain! I'm sure that helped a great deal. We are quite fond of working cats here.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!