Friday, August 09, 2024

An old post

I rode my horse up and down the roads around here many times, and had a lot of adventures doing it.  Back then I blogged a lot about my rides.  I've never driven a car, so maybe that's why I so enjoyed going around the countryside on my brown horse named Blue.

One day I rode to the little village of Napoleon, some three miles from my house, to visit with my friend Carol.  However, she wasn't home.  But directly across the road from her house, right on the Missouri River, there was an elevator where we used to buy feed for our livestock that was permanently closed for business.  As I was sitting on my horse, I started taking pictures of the elevator.

And now you need to go read that blog entry to see the rest of the story.  But when you read it, be sure to read the comments, because three different people at different times were very happy to find that story, long after I wrote it.  The very last comment just showed up today... I wrote that entry in 2007.  It makes me really happy that people who loved that man were able to find a story about him.

THE NAPOLEON ELEVATOR  

If you write a comment, it won't show up there because people like to put spam on old entries thinking nobody will know it.  But I always check my comments for new ones left for old entries, because I love to see how it makes people so happy, seeing the names of old friends they remember.  And when I find a comment that isn't spam, I'm very happy to put on there.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:35 PM

    I loved reading the old stories. I would have gone in to see all those treasures even without my husband there. I know that I can be trusted, Those memories make our lives richer and fuller. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when people discover old blog posts of mine too, mostly due to my genealogy work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found his obituary; it was short but I discovered that he died in 2021 at the age of 82. His long time girlfriend of 20 years was at his side. Even though he's gone, he is immortalized in your blog post which is a fitting tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a biker. Cliff and I and Cliff's sister and her husband went down there on our motorcycles the next weekend, I think it was, so they could see his treasures. His girlfriend was with him.

      Delete
  4. Bettina9:48 PM

    I've been to Napoleon many times and never noticed the elevator... so now I'll have to go back and look for it. Thanks for the new info... ps... love going down Rt224 and miss the old bridge over the Mo River in Lexington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, next time you are on 224 and see "Old Canyon Road", you are very close to our home.

      Delete
    2. Oh, another thing: If you see go through Napoleon and see St. Paul Church, there is a lovely spot to park, then walk a few steps and look down on the Missouri River. You can see for miles from that bluff..

      Delete
    3. Bettina10:10 AM

      will have to do that!!

      Delete
  5. David R8:43 AM

    I love this, how cool. I remember Blue.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!